TED演讲:便宜、高效的救灾避难所(2)(在线收听

   Now we have instant neighborhoods outside.  现在大家都成了新的邻居。

  So the Exo is designed to be simply, basically like a coffee cup. 这个房屋系统被设计的很简洁,基本上很像一个咖啡杯。
  They can actually stack together  它们可以摞在一起
  so we get extremely efficient transportation and storage out of them. 所以我们可以非常高效的运输和储存它们。
  In fact, 15 Exos can fit on a single semi truck by itself.  事实上,一个半挂卡车可以装15个这样的屋子。
  This means the Exo can actually be transported and set up  这就表明这种房屋比目前世界上其他任何住房系统
  faster than any other housing option available today.  都能更快的运输和安装。
  But I'm obsessive, so I couldn't just stop there,  我对这个项目很着迷,所以我并不止步于此,
  so I actually started modifying the bunks 接着我就开始设计床铺,
  where you could actually slide out the bunks and slide in desks or shelving, 你可以从墙壁上把床滑出来然后耨把桌子和柜子滑进去,
  so the same unit can now be used for an office or storage location. 这种设计也可以被用为办公室或者储藏室。
  The doors can actually swap out, 房屋的门是可以拆换的,
  so you can actually put on a rigid panel with a window unit in it for climate control, 所以你可以换一个带窗户的门来调节气温,
  or a connector module that would allow you to actually connect multiple units together, 或者装上连接模块,就可以让你把多个房屋连接起来,
  which gives you larger and kind of compartmentalized living spaces, 这样生活空间就会变大而且可以分成不同区块,
  so now this same kit of parts, 因此同一个屋子,
  this same unit can actually serve as a living room, bedroom or bathroom,  可以被当做起居室,卧室或浴室,
  or an office, a living space and secure storage.  或是办公室,居住空间和安全储藏室。
  Sounds like a great idea, but how do you make it real?  这听起来很不错,但是要怎样才能让这些成为现实?
  So the first idea I had, initially, was just to go the federal and state governments and go, 我最初的想法是找到政府部门并且跟他们说,
  "Here, take it, for free." “这个送给你们,拿去吧 。”
  But I was quickly told that, "Boy, our government doesn't really work like that." 但是我很快被告诉,“亲,我们的政府根本不会这么做的。”
  Okay. Okay. So maybe I would start a nonprofit  好吧,好吧。我或许应当创立一个非盈利的机构
  to kind of help consult and get this idea going along with the government, but then I was told, 来使这个想法能得到政府的支持,但之后我却被告知,
  "Son, our government looks to private sector for things like this." “亲,我们的政府还指望私营企业来做这样的事情呢。”
  Okay. So maybe I would take this whole idea 好吧。我也许应该把这个主意
  and go to private corporations that would have this mutually shared benefit to it, 交给那些能共同获利的私营企业
  but I was quickly told by some corporations that my personal passion project was not a brand fit 可接着我很快收到一些公司的答复,他们认为来源于我自己倒腾出来的项目和品牌形象不符
  because they didn't want their logos stamped across the ghettos of Haiti. 他们不愿意让自己的品牌沾上海地贫民区的痕迹
  Now, I wasn't just obsessed. I was outraged. 那时,我就不止是着迷怎么简单了。我愤怒了。
  So I decided, kind of told myself, "Oh yeah? Watch this. I'll do it myself."  于是我对自己说,是嘛?等着瞧吧,我自己来做。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/TEDyj/gjwtp/454359.html