TED演讲:为了更好的辩论(3)(在线收听) |
Think about that one. Have you ever entered an argument thinking, 在参加辩论的时候,你有没有想过 "Let's see if we can hash something out rather than fight it out. 让我们看看能不能共同敲定一些事情,而非由一方说服另一方。
What can we work out together?" 有什么是我们可以共同协作的?
And I think the argument-as-war metaphor inhibits those other kinds of resolutions to argumentation. 我觉得辩论如战争的这个比喻已经盖过了其他的辩论形式。
And finally, this is really the worst thing, arguments don't seem to get us anywhere. 最终,最糟糕的是,通过争论我们不会学到什么东西。
They're dead ends. 这样的辩论就如同一个死胡同。
They are roundabouts or traffic jams or gridlock in conversation. 交流中的环状公路交通阻塞或者一个僵局。
We don't get anywhere. 我们停在原地,到不了任何其他地方。
Oh, and one more thing, and as an educator, this is the one that really bothers me: 噢,其实还有一件事情,作为一个教育工作者,这里还有一个问题困扰了我很久:
If argument is war, then there's an implicit equation of learning with losing. 如果辩论是场战争,那么这也隐含着学习等于失去的意思。
And let me explain what I mean. 让我解释一下我的观点。
Suppose you and I have an argument. 比如说,你和我进行了一场辩论。
You believe a proposition, P, and I don't. 你主张观点,P,但是我不同意。
And I say, "Well why do you believe P?" 然后我说,“好了,为什么你相信P”
And you give me your reasons. 然后你给出了你的理由。
And I object and say, "Well, what about ...?" 然后我反对并说,“好,那关于。。。?”
And you answer my objection. 然后你回答我的反对。
And I have a question: "Well, what do you mean? 然后我提问:“额,你的意思是?
How does it apply over here?" And you answer my question. 那么在这个地方他如何解释?” 然后你又回答了我的问题。
Now, suppose at the end of the day, I've objected, I've questioned, 现在,假设一天快结束了,我反对,我提问,
I've raised all sorts of counter-considerations, 我给出了所有反对问题,
and in every case you've responded to my satisfaction. 然后在所有的问题上你都让我满意了。
And so at the end of the day, I say, 然后在一天快要结束的时候,我说,
"You know what? I guess you're right. P." ”你知道吗?我觉得在P这个观点上你没准是对的。“
So I have a new belief. 所以我有了新的见解。
And it's not just any belief, 但是这不仅仅是一个见解,
but it's a well-articulated, examined, it's a battle-tested belief. 而是一个阐述清楚的,经过验证的,同时也是经得起挑战的见解。
Great cognitive gain. Okay. Who won that argument? 多好的结果啊。好了。那谁赢了这场辩论呢?
Well, the war metaphor seems to force us into saying you won, 好了,将辩论作为战争的人们会强迫我们承认,提出见解那方赢了,
even though I'm the only one who made any cognitive gain. 即使我才是那个获得新见解的人。
What did you gain cognitively from convincing me? 那么作为说服我的人,他在获得了什么新的见解吗?
Sure, you got some pleasure out of it, maybe your ego stroked, 没错,你从中获得了一些愉悦,或许一些自我安慰
maybe you get some professional status in the field. 或许在你的领域里获得了一些专业声誉。
This guy's a good arguer. 这家伙是个辩论好手。
But cognitively, now -- just from a cognitive point of view -- who was the winner? 但是从认知角度而言,仅仅从认识的角度来看,谁是胜利者?
The war metaphor forces us into thinking that you're the winner and I lost, even though I gained. 视辩论如战争的人们会强迫我们认为,你是胜者而我是败者,即使是我也有所得。
And there's something wrong with that picture. 这个认识本身存在一些错误。
And that's the picture I really want to change if we can. 同时我也想去改变这个认识。 |
原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/TEDyj/jyp/454383.html |