TED演讲:我们的意识(4)(在线收听) |
OK, now, you all saw what changed, right? 好,你们都看到了什么东西改变了,对吧? How many of you noticed that every one of those squares changed color? 有多少人注意到每一个方块都变了颜色?
Every one. I'll just show you by running it again. 每个都变了。我来重放一下。
Even when you know that they're all going to change color, it's very hard to notice. 即使你们都知道他们要变颜色了,那也很难被注意到。
You have to really concentrate to pick up any of the changes at all. 你需要完全地集中注意力以发现任何变化。
Now, this is an example -- one of many -- of a phenomenon that's now being studied quite a bit. 这是许多例子中的一个,关于我们已经有很多研究的一个现象。
It's one that I predicted in the last page or two of my 1991 book, "Consciousness Explained," 它是我在我书的最后几页预言过的我在1991年的书,“意识的解释,”
where I said if you did experiments of this sort, 我说如果你有过这种经历,
you'd find that people were unable to pick up really large changes. 你会发现人们不能发现真正的大改变。
If there's time at the end, I'll show you the much more dramatic case. 如果最后还剩时间,我会展示更多富有戏剧性的例子。
Now, how can it be that there are all those changes going on, and that we're not aware of them? 为什么到处都在发生这样的改变,而我们却意识不到?
Well, earlier today, Jeff Hawkins mentioned the way your eye saccades, 今天早些时候,Jeff Hawkins提到了眼睛是如何扫视的,
the way your eye moves around three or four times a second. 也就是眼睛一秒钟移动三到四次。
He didn't mention the speed. 他没有提到速度。
Your eye is constantly in motion, moving around, looking at eyes, noses, elbows, 你的眼睛一直在运动,四处运动,看着眼睛、鼻子、手肘,
looking at interesting things in the world. 看着这世上有趣的东西。
And where your eye isn't looking, you're remarkably impoverished in your vision. 在你眼睛没有看到的地方,你的视野特别贫乏。
That's because the foveal part of your eye, which is the high-resolution part, 这是因为你眼睛的中央凹部分,也就是高分辨率的部分,
is only about the size of your thumbnail held at arms length. 只有大拇指甲在一臂长处看起来那么大。
That's the detail part. 那就是有细节的部分。
It doesn't seem that way, does it? 看起来好像不是这样对吧?
It doesn't seem that way, but that's the way it is. 看起来不是这么回事,但它就是。
You're getting in a lot less information than you think. 你接收到的信息远比你想象的少。
Here's a completely different effect. This is a painting by Bellotto. 这里有一个截然不同的效果。这是Bellotto的一幅油画。
It's in the museum in North Carolina. 它被藏于北卡罗来纳州博物馆。
Bellotto was a student of Canaletto's. Bellotto是Canaletto的学生。
And I love paintings like that -- the painting is actually about as big as it is right here. 我喜欢那样的油画--像这样大的油画。
And I love Canalettos, because Canaletto has this fantastic detail, 我也喜欢Canalettos,因为 Canaletto的作品对细节处理巧妙,
and you can get right up and see all the details on the painting. 我们可以细细地观察油画的细节。
And I started across the hall in North Carolina, 我穿过北卡博物馆的那个大厅,
because I thought it was probably a Canaletto, and would have all that in detail. 因为我想可能是Canaletto的作品,所以会有那些细节。
And I noticed that on the bridge there, there's a lot of people 然后我注意到那边的桥,有非常多的人
you can just barely see them walking across the bridge. 你似乎可以看到他们从桥上走过。
And I thought as I got closer 我想着如果我走近一点
I would be able to see all the detail of most people, see their clothes, and so forth. 我就可以看到更多人物细节,看到他们的衣服等等。
And as I got closer and closer, I actually screamed. 实际上,当我越来越近的时候,我叫了出来。
I yelled out because when I got closer, I found the detail wasn't there at all. 我叫是因为当我靠近时,我发现那里其实没有细节。
There were just little artfully placed blobs of paint. 那里只有巧妙放置的颜料粒。
And as I walked towards the picture, I was expecting detail that wasn't there. 而当我走近那幅画时,我在期待不存在的细节。 |
原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/TEDyj/jyp/454388.html |