TED演讲:科学可以回答道德问题(11)(在线收听

   He likes chocolate, he likes vanilla.  他喜欢巧克力,他喜欢香草

  There's nothing that one should be able to say to the other that should persuade the other. 无论跟他们说什么,都不能改变他们。
  Notice that we don't do this in science.  但我们不会这样讨论科学
  On the left you have Edward Witten. He's a string theorist. 左边这位是爱德华·威滕。他是弦理论的专家
  If you ask the smartest physicists around who is the smartest physicist around, 如果你问你旁边最聪明的物理学家谁是世界上最聪明的物理学家
  in my experience half of them will say Ed Witten.  我的经验是一半都会说是爱德华·威滕
  The other half will tell you they don't like the question.  另外一半会告诉你她们不喜欢这个问题
  So, what would happen if I showed up at a physics conference and said, "String theory is bogus. 那么,如果我出现在一个物理研讨会,然后说弦理论是个假货
  It doesn't resonate with me. It's not how I chose to view the universe at a small scale. I'm not a fan." 我对它没有感觉,这不是我选择的宇宙观,我不是那派的。
  Well, nothing would happen because I'm not a physicist; I don't understand string theory. 什么都不会发生,因为我不是物理学家,我不懂弦理论
  I'm the Ted Bundy of string theory.  我是弦理论的Ted Bundy
  I wouldn't want to belong to any string theory club that would have me as a member. But this is just the point. 我不想加入任何愿意接受我的弦理论社团,这就是重点
  Whenever we are talking about facts certain opinions must be excluded. 当我们谈论事实,我们必须排除某些意见
  That is what it is to have a domain of expertise. That is what it is for knowledge to count. 那就是为什么我们有专业。那就是为什么我们应该依靠知识
  How have we convinced ourselves that in the moral sphere there is no such thing as moral expertise, 无论我们怎么和自己说,在道德里没有所谓的道德专家
  or moral talent, or moral genius even?  道德人才,或甚至道德天才
  How have we convinced ourselves that every opinion has to count? 为什么我们要说服自己所有的意见都应该纳入考虑?
  How have we convinced ourselves that every culture has a point of view on these subjects worth considering? 我们是怎么说服自己,所有的文化对这些事情都有自己的观点,而我们都应该把他们纳入考量?
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/TEDyj/jyp/454425.html