TED演讲:科学可以回答道德问题(12)(在线收听) |
Does the Taliban have a point of view on physics that is worth considering? No. 难道塔利班对物理学的意见也值得我们考虑吗?不。 How is their ignorance any less obvious on the subject of human well-being? 但他们对幸福的无知和他们对物理的无知有什么不同?
So, this, I think, is what the world needs now. 现在世界所需要的是
It needs people like ourselves to admit that there are right and wrong answers 像我们这样的人们承认在人类的幸福问题中
to questions of human flourishing, and morality relates to that domain of facts. 是有正确和错误答案的,以及道德是和事实有直接关联的
It is possible for individuals, and even for whole cultures, to care about the wrong things, 个人或整个文化过分关心某些错误议题是绝对可能的
which is to say that it's possible for them 他们的信仰和想法也绝对有可能
to have beliefs and desires that reliably lead to needless human suffering. 为人类带来无必要的痛苦
Just admitting this will transform our discourse about morality. 承认这些事实会改变我们讨论道德的方式
We live in a world in which the boundaries between nations mean less and less, and they will one day mean nothing. 在今日世界中,国界的意义不断减弱,有一天国界将没有任何意义
We live in a world filled with destructive technology, and this technology cannot be uninvented; 我们住在一个充满危险科技的世界,这些科技可以不要被发明
it will always be easier to break things than to fix them. 因为捣毁一样事情永远比重建容易
It seems to me, therefore, patently obvious that 我认为,很明显地
we can no more respect and tolerate vast differences in notions of human well-being 我们不能再尊重和容忍这些对人类幸福的不同观点
than we can respect or tolerate vast differences in the notions about how disease spreads, 就像我们不会尊重和容忍传染病的散播
or in the safety standards of buildings and airplanes. 或是建筑和飞机的安全标准 |
原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/TEDyj/jyp/454426.html |