TED演讲:医生们会犯错误(10)(在线收听

   It's a system in which there are two kinds of physicians -- those who make mistakes and those who don't,  在这个制度当中,只有两种人 -- 犯错的不犯错的,

  those who can't handle sleep deprivation and those who can, those who have lousy outcomes and those who have great outcomes.  可以调适睡眠不足的和不可以忍受的,以及那些有着糟糕的结果和有着优秀的结果的。
  And it's almost like an ideological reaction, like the antibodies begin to attack that person.  这几乎就像免疫系统的自我反应,像抗体一般开始攻击那个不一样的人。
  And we have this idea that if we drive the people who make mistakes out of medicine, what will we be left with, but a safe system.  我们有着一种想法:当我们将所有的会犯错的人 赶出医学界后, 我们便会得到一个安全的系统。
  But there are two problems with that.  但这种想法会衍生出两个问题。
  In my 20 years or so of medical broadcasting and journalism,  在我二十余年的医疗广播和新闻工作中,
  I've made a personal study of medical malpractice and medical errors to learn everything I can,  我自行研究了我可以接触到的 一切医疗疏失和医疗错误,
  from one of the first articles I wrote for the Toronto Star to my show "White Coat, Black Art." 从我为多伦多星报所写的第一篇文章到我的节目《白袍魔艺》。
  And what I've learned is that errors are absolutely ubiquitous.  而我所了解到的,便是错误绝对是无处不在。
  We work in a system where errors happen every day,  我们工作在一个 每天都会发生错误的制度中。
  where one in 10 medications are either the wrong medication given in hospital or at the wrong dosage,  医院有十分之一的几率会给错药 或者给了错误的剂量,
  where hospital-acquired infections are getting more and more numerous, causing havoc and death.  而在医院内被传染的病例正在日渐增多,造成不必要的伤害和死亡。
  In this country, as many as 24,000 Canadians die of preventable medical errors.  在这个国家中,有将近2万4千多加拿大人死于可以避免的医疗错误。
  In the United States, the Institute of Medicine pegged it at 100,000.  在美国,据医学学院统计,这个人数达到了10万之多。
  In both cases, these are gross underestimates, because we really aren't ferreting out the problem as we should.  即使如此,这两项数据也还是过于低估了现实, 因为我们从未像我们该做的那般 深入地探究这个问题。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/TEDyj/jyp/455455.html