TED演讲:气味背后的科学(3)(在线收听

   This smells of cut grass. Now, this is the skeleton of the molecule.  它闻起来就像割下来青草。这就是分子的骨架。

  If you dress it up with atoms, hydrogen atoms -- that's what it looks like when you have it on your computer -- but actually it's sort of more like this,  如果再给它配上其他原子,比如说氢原子,在电脑上模拟看上去是这样,但实际上看上去是这样的,
  in the sense that the atoms have a certain sphere that you cannot penetrate. They repel. 就某种意义来说原子有某种不为人们所理解的性质。他们相互排斥。
  OK, now. Why does this thing smell of cut grass, OK?  好了,现在。为什么这个东西闻起来像割下来的青草呢?
  Why doesn't it smell of potatoes or violets?  为什么闻起来不像土豆或者紫罗兰?
  Well, there are really two theories.  有两种理论。
  But the first theory is: it must be the shape.  第一种理论认为:一定是形状在起作用。
  And that's a perfectly reasonable theory in the sense that almost everything else in biology works by shape.  这是一个完美的理论因为在生物领域形状在几乎所有东西中都起着一定作用。
  Enzymes that chew things up,  酶用来消化,
  antibodies, it's all, you know, the fit between a protein and whatever it is grabbing, in this case a smell.  抗生素是用来做什么的你们都知道,蛋白质和它抓住的东西配成一对,在这种情况下它抓住的是气味。
  And I will try and explain to you what's wrong with this notion. 我会试着解释为什么这个概念是错误的。
  And the other theory is that we smell molecular vibrations.  一个理论是我们闻到的是分子的震动。
  Now, this is a totally insane idea.  这是一个离谱的想法。
  When I first came across it in the early '90s,  九十年代初我第一次接触到这个理论的时候,
  I thought my predecessor, Malcolm Dyson and Bob Wright, had really taken leave of their senses,  觉得我的前辈麦肯戴森和鲍勃怀特肯定是失去理智了,
  and I'll explain to you why this was the case.  我待会会解释为什么我是这样的想的。
  However, I came to realize gradually that they may be right -- and I have to convince all my colleagues that this is so, but I'm working on it. 但是,我逐渐意识到他可能是对的,我必须说服我所有的同事这个理论是对的,我正在努力这样做。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/TEDyj/jyp/455728.html