英语听书《白鲸记》第898期(在线收听) |
Who's there? hearing the footstep at the door, but not turning round to it. "On deck! Begone!" 谁呀?听到了门边的脚步声,可是,没有回过头来。"上甲板去!滚蛋,滚蛋!" Captain Ahab mistakes; it is I. 亚哈船长弄错啦,是我。
The oil in the hold is leaking, sir. 舱里的油漏啦,先生。
We must up Burtons and break out. 我们得吊起复滑车把油桶给起出来。
Up Burtons and break out? Now that we are nearing Japan; heave-to here for a week to tinker a parcel of old hoops? 吊起复滑车把油桶给起出来?我们既然就快到日本了;难道为了张罗这一堆破桶箍,要在这里停上一个星期吗?
Either do that, sir, or waste in one day more oil than we may make good in a year. 不这样做嘛,先生,那么,一天浪费掉的油,就抵得上我们一年弄来的油还有余。
What we come twenty thousand miles to get is worth saving, sir. 我们赶了两千英里弄来的油,就该多加爱惜呀,先生。
So it is, so it is; if we get it. 是呀,是呀;要是我们搞得到它就好。
I was speaking of the oil in the hold, sir. 先生,我说的是舱里的油。
And I was not speaking or thinking of that at all. 可是,我根本就不在说这件事,也不在想这回事。
Begone! Let it leak! I'm all aleak myself. 出去,出去!随它漏去吧!我自己就浑身都漏了。
Aye! leaks in leaks! not only full of leaky casks, but those leaky casks are in a leaky ship; 哼!漏里的漏!不但全是些漏桶,而且是漏船里的漏桶;
and that's a far worse plight than the Pequod's, man. 这比‘裴廓德号’的处境还更来得糟,老朋友。
Yet I don't stop to plug my leak; for who can find it in the deep-loaded hull; 然而,我可不愿意停下来修补我的漏;因为在这深装重载的船身里谁能找到漏洞呀;
or how hope to plug it, even if found, in this life's howling gale? 在这种生命的怒哮的狂风里,就是找到了漏洞,又怎么补得了呢?
Starbuck! I'll not have the Burtons hoisted. 斯达巴克!我决不让吊起复滑车。
What will the owners say, sir? 那么,船东们该会怎样说呢,先生?
Let the owners stand on Nantucket beach and outyell the Typhoons. What cares Ahab? Owners, owners? 让那些船东们站在南塔开特海滩上去叫皇天吧。干亚哈什么事?船东,船东?
Thou art always prating to me, Starbuck, about those miserly owners, as if the owners were my conscience. 斯达巴克,你老是来跟我嘀咕那些吝啬鬼的船东,好象那些船东就是我的良心。 |
原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/syysdw/bjj/458900.html |