美国小学英语教材5:第52课 午夜猎狮(8)(在线收听) |
We felt that there was nothing we could do. 我们觉得我们无能为力。 None of us would have got out of the truck for any three-hundred dollar camera. 我们中没有一个人会从卡车里出来买一台300美元的照相机。
In a few minutes one of the lions left the zebra and came over to the other camera, which was still standing. 几分钟后,其中一只狮子离开了斑马,走到另一个仍然立着的摄像机前。
She rubbed her head against it and chewed the wires connecting the cameras with the flares. 她用头蹭着摄像机,咀嚼着连接摄像机的带信号弹的电线。
We whistled and hissed to frighten her from it, but it did no good. 我们又吹口哨又嘶嘶叫,想吓她一跳,但没有用。
Finally Dick yelled, “Scat, you heathen, scat!” 最后迪克喊道:“走开,你们这些野蛮的家伙,走开!”
Then Douglas shouted, “Get away! We’ve told you twice!” 然后道格拉斯喊道,“走开!我们已经警告过你们两次了!”
The sound of our voices finally frightened the lioness from the camera and scared the others away for a while. 最后,我们的声音把母狮从镜头前吓跑了,其他的狮子也被吓跑了。
They soon returned, however, and continued their meal. 不过,他们很快就回来继续进食了。
We watched them for about an hour before we lay down again. 在我们再次躺下之前,我们观察了他们大约一个小时。
But just as we decided to go to sleep, we heard a slight noise up in the front of the truck. 但是正当我们准备睡觉的时候,我们听到卡车前面有轻微的响声。
Dick grabbed his flashlight and crawled up to the poles that separated the front seat from the body of the truck. 迪克抓起手电筒,爬到把前座和卡车车身隔开的柱子前。
Shining his light out through the bars, we saw the head of a lioness not three feet away! 我们看见一只母狮子的头在离我们不到三英尺远的地方。
She had one foot on the fender and one on the floor board, and she had stuck her head up to the seat. 狮子一只脚踩在挡泥板上,一只脚踩在地板上,头靠座位。
When she saw the light, she only blinked her eyes and crawled back down. 当看到灯时,只是眨了眨眼睛,然后爬了下来。
We said not a word. 我们保持沉默。
It was the first time we had ever seen a lion try to drive a truck, and the sight gave us quite a shock. 这是我们第一次看到狮子试图开卡车,这景象使我们很震惊。
We came back to our blankets and waited several minutes before we felt like turning in again. 我们回到毯子前,等了几分钟才又想睡觉。
We all lay perfectly still for a while and at last dropped off to sleep. 我们都静静地躺了一会儿,最后睡着了。
|
原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/mgxxyyjc/d5c/460523.html |