向前一步:第237期 为平等而不懈努力(16)(在线收听

 The goal is to work toward a world where those social norms no longer exist. 我们要为摒弃这些老观念,为创造一个新世界而努力。

If more children see fathers at school pickups and mothers who are busy at jobs, both girls and boys will envision more options for themselves. 如果有更多的孩子看到父亲来接自己、母亲忙于工作,那么不管是男孩还是女孩,都会在未来给予自己更多的选择。
Expectations will not be set by gender but by personal passion, talents, and interests. 一个人对未来的期待,不应该是基于性别,而应该基于个人的热情、才华和兴趣。
I am fully aware that most women are not focused on changing social norms for the next generation but simply trying to get through each day. 我完全明白,大多数女性并没有想过为下一代去改变旧观念,她们只是在努力撑过每一天。
Too many talented women try their hardest to reach the top and bump up against systemic barriers. 我也知道很多极富才干的女性在为进入高层竭尽全力,极力清除着前进道路上的障碍。
So many others pull back because they do not think they have a choice. 有那么多女性退缩,是因为她们认为自己别无选择。
All of this brings me back to Leymah Gbowee's insistence that we need more women in power. 这一切让我想到莱曼·古博韦主张要让更多女性获得权力的观点。
When leadership insists that these policies change, they will. 当领导层坚决地改变政策时,变化就会出现。
Google put in pregnancy parking when I asked for it and it remains there long after I left. 比如我在谷歌时申请的孕妇停车位,在我离开后仍旧存在。
We must raise both the ceiling and the floor. 我们要追求更高的目标,但也需要扎实的地基。
My mother had fewer choices than I did, but with my father's support, she has always worked hard. 我的母亲不像我有这么多选择,但在父亲的支持下,她总能尽全力工作。
During my childhood, she chose to be a devoted mother and volunteer. 在我的童年时期,她选择做一名尽责的母亲和志愿者。
When I left for college, she went back to school to study teaching English as a second language. 当我上大学时,她回到学校,着手将英语作为第二语言的教学研究。
She taught full-time for fifteen years and felt that teaching was her calling. 她从事了15年的全职教学工作,深深感到教书正是她想要追求的事业。
 
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/xqyb/476282.html