VOA常速英语2019--电影《小丑》引发人们对暴力的关注(在线收听

Film ’Joker’ Raises Concerns of Violence

I have some bad news for you.

我有一些坏消息 

This is the last time we’ll be meeting you.

“这是我们最后一次见面” 

You don’t listen.

“你没明白我的意思。” 

As Gotham city’s public mental health program gets the axe, Arthur Fleck medicines of counseling are canceled.

当哥谭市的公共心理卫生项目遭到否决,亚瑟·弗莱克便无法进行药物咨询。 

His work as a clown is a dead end and he’s constantly bullied by angry people in a gritty city teeming with division and dissatisfaction.

他的小丑工作走到尽头。在这座分化巨大,幸福指数低的城市里,亚瑟·弗莱克时常还会遭受处在气头上的人欺负。

However Arthur is trying to live up to his mother’s belief that he was born to spread laughter in the world, an expectation that feeds into his delusions of grandeur.

然而,亚瑟仍在努力不辜负妈妈的期望,那就是他生来就是要为世界带来欢乐。正是这一期望,让他误以为自己自命不凡。

But after he gets mocked and kicked one time too many, he fires the gun that opportunity puts in his hands.

但在他多次遭受他人嘲笑和殴打后,他开了手中偶然得到的那把枪。 

His transformation to the menacing joker has begun.

他开始变成一个恐怖的小丑。 

Critics are divided of the joker.

对于《小丑》,评论家看法不一。 

Some see the film as an artful portrayal of a man’s descent into insanity,

有人认为这部电影巧妙地描写了一个男人如何走向疯狂, 

but many say the film empathizes with the lone shooter as a victim of circumstances and then elevates him to an iconic vigilante.

但也有许多人认为这部电影主要讲的是这个孤独的枪手实质是社会环境的受害者,并把他升华为偶像式的社会治安员。

One of those critics is George mason university film professor May Santiago.

乔治梅森大学的电影系教授的George mason university也参与了对这部电影的评判。 

She calls Warner Brothers studio and filmmaker Todd Phillips decision to make such a film irresponsible after a slew of mass shootings in the country by men exhibiting behaviors similar to that of the joker.

她称华纳兄弟工作室和导演托德·菲利普斯决定拍摄这样一部电影的行为是极不负责的,因为在此之前美国发生的一系列枪击案中枪手和电影中小丑的行为十分相似。

We are traumatized society.

我们的社会已经遭受到很多创伤。 

And you’re really going to throw in a blockbuster film, a film with millions, hundreds of millions dollars behind it.

而现在你们还投入数亿美元拍一部大片。 

I’m sorry, but now it’s not that easy.

我感到很悲哀,因为现在这部电影没那么简单。 

And with one of the most iconic characters and the cultural lexicon, you don’t get away with it that easily.

这其中最具代表性的一个角色,一个文化词汇,绝不只是这么简单。” 

Movie theaters around the country have increased security and banned masks from being worn by movie-goers.

全国上下的电影院已增加了安全措施,并且禁止电影粉丝戴面具。 

Los Angeles Police department is aware of the historical significance and the public concern around the premiere of the Joker.

洛杉矶警察局知道这部电影的历史意义,也明白人们对于电影首映典礼的担忧。 

While there are no credible threats in Los Angeles area, we do encourage Angelenos to be vigilant.

尽管在洛杉矶还没有发现确实威胁,我们还是鼓励本地居民提高警惕。” 

In 2012, James Holmes killed 12 people and injured 70 during a midnight screening of another Joker film, Christopher Nolan’s batman blockbuster The Dark Knight Rises.

2012年, 在克里斯托弗·诺兰拍摄的另一部小丑系列大片《蝙蝠侠·黑暗骑士崛起》午夜首映现场上,James Holmes杀了12个人,并导致70人受伤。

So far, Joker has won three top awards at the Venice film festival and Joaquin Phoenix is already garnering Oscar buzz for his performance.

目前为止,《小丑》在威尼斯电影节上已揽获三项大奖,杰昆·菲尼克斯本人也因自己精彩的表演赢得奥斯卡大奖。

Usually characters motivations are so clearly defined that we’re telling the audience precisely what to feel and when.

通常来说,电影中角色的动机都十分明晰,我们会一五一十地告诉观众怎样感受,何时感受。 

And what I like about this movie is it’s really up to interpretation.

我喜欢这部电影的一点就是它给人很大的阐释空间。 

Art shouldn’t be made in a vacuum.

“艺术不是凭空产生的。” 

May Santiago says we should hold art accountable to our social values.

May Santiago表示我们应该让艺术对我们的社会价值观负责。   

It’s been less than a month since our last mass shooting by a white man.

上次的白人大型枪击案过去还不到一个月。 

You know, that’s just a society we live in and until gun laws start changing and there’s more of a monumental shift in American society.

这就是我们所生活的社会。除非枪支法律有所改变,美国社会发生更多巨大的转变。 

We should be defensive. We have to be defensive.

我们应该加强防备,我们也必须这样做。” 

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/voastandard/2019/10/487141.html