英语PK台 第1020期:跟《老友记》学美语(43)(在线收听

 

地点:莫妮卡和瑞秋公寓(原钱德勒和乔伊公寓)

人物:钱德勒,乔伊,菲比

事件:菲比忍不住想吃肉,可是心里又非常地愧疚,在她陷入两难境地很纠结时,乔伊决定代替菲比吃素。

剧情片段

Chandler: There’s a Phoebe on my sandwich!

钱德勒:(钱德勒新做好的三明治刚开始咬上,一旁的菲比便从三明治的另外一边开始疯狂地吃起来)有个菲比在我的三明治上!(钱德勒走开了,把三明治留给了菲比)

Joey: Phoebe, what–what are you doing?!

乔伊:菲比,你在干什么?

Phoebe: I can’t help it①. I need the meat. The baby needs the meat.1

菲比:我忍不住,我需要肉。孩子想吃肉。

Joey: All right look, y’know how when you’re dating someone and you don’t want to cheat on them, unless② it’s with someone really hot?

乔伊:好吧,你知道你和别人交往时不能欺骗她们,但除非遇见特辣的,对吧?

Phoebe: Yeah, totally!

菲比:对,是这样!

Joey: All right. This is the same kind of deal. If you’re going to do something wrong, do it right! 2 Feel better now?

乔伊:好的,同样的道理,既然你已经决定破戒了,(从冰箱中拿出两盒牛排)那就吃点儿好的吧!(过了一会儿,菲比吃完了牛排)现在感觉好点儿了吗?

Phoebe: Yeah, but at what cost? Six more months, three meals a day, I’m gonna eat like, millions of cows③. Mommy cows, daddy cows, baby cows. No, I’ll never eat baby cows. No veal! But veal.3

菲比:嗯,可是,这要付出多大的代价啊?6个月,一天3顿肉,我会吃掉,成百万头牛。牛妈妈,牛爸爸,牛宝宝。不,我绝不会吃牛宝宝的!死也不吃!(想了想)尽量不吃!

Joey: Hey, what if ④ I said, I could even things out⑤ for you, meat-wise.

乔伊:嘿,要是这样呢:我做些事帮你扯平,肉方面的。

Phoebe: What?

菲比:怎么做啊?

Joey: Well, I eat a lot of meat right? Suppose until the baby’s born I laid off it. No extra animals would die, you–you’d just be eating my animals.4

乔伊:我总是吃肉,对吗?(菲比附和表示同意)假设到孩子出世前我戒掉肉,那么就没有额外的动物会死掉,你就相当于吃我的动物。

Phoebe: Joey, I can’t believe you would do that for me.

菲比:乔伊,我不敢相信,你会为我这样做。

Joey: Absolutely! I could be a vegetarian⑥. There’s no meat in beer, right?

乔伊:当然能!我也可以做一个素食者啊。不过,啤酒里没有肉的,对吧?

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/yypkt/487419.html