美国语文第六册 第203期:布鲁图和凯西尤的争吵(1)(在线收听

Cassius says: That you have wronged me doth appear in this: You have condemned and noted Lucius Pella For taking bribes here of the Sardians;

凯西尤说道:你对我的侮辱,从这件事情看得分明你给鲁西尤·派拉定了罪,昭告天下因为他在这儿受了萨狄斯人的贿赂;

Wherein my letters, praying on his side, Because I knew the man, were slighted off.

因为我了解这个人,特致书说明,你却把书信撇到一边。

Brutus says: You wronged yourself to write in such a case.

布鲁图说道:这个案子你本来就不该掺和。

In such a time as this, it is not meet That every nice offense should bear his comment.

现在这个时候,不该为了一点小小的过失就公开谴责人家。

Yet let me tell you, Cassius, you yourself Are much condemned to have an itching palm, To sell and mart your offices for gold To undeservers.

我跟你说吧,凯西尤,许多人都谴责说你手掌发痒,为了黄噔噔的金子,把官爵卖给无德无能之辈。

I an itching palm! You know that you are Brutus that speak this, Or, by the gods, this speech were else your last.

我的手掌痒!要是说这话的人不是你布鲁图,指着神明起誓,这句话就是你说的最后一句话。

The name of Cassius honors this corruption, And chastisement doth therefore hide his head.

这种贪污失德,有凯西尤的名字作挡箭牌,惩罚才没有显出它的威力。

Chastisement! Remember March, the ides of March remember!

惩罚!记得三月份,记得那三月十五日嘛!

Did not great Julius bleed for justice' sake?

伟大的恺撒不是为了正义的缘故而流血吗?

What villain touched his body, that did stab, And not for justice?

倘不是为了正义,哪一个恶人敢用匕首刺入他的身体?

What! shall one of us, That struck the foremost man of all this world But for supporting robbers;

什么!我们曾经打倒这个世界最著名的人,就是因为他庇护盗贼;

shall we now Contaminate our fingers with base bribes, And sell the mighty space of our large honors For so much trash as may be grasped thus?

难道我们现在甘心让卑污的贿赂玷污我们的手指,为了这些不值一提的废物,出卖我们配享环宇的伟大荣誉吗?

I had rather be a dog, and bay the moon, Than such a Roman.

做一条冲月亮狂吠的狗,也比这样一个罗马人强。

Brutus, bay not me; I'll not endure it:

布鲁图,不要向我吠叫;我受不了这样的侮辱。

you forget yourself, To hedge me in; I am a soldier, I, Older in practice, abler than yourself To make conditions.

你忘记了你自己是什么人,如此把我相逼,我是一个军人,我,经验比你多,比你会处理事情。

Go to; you are not, Cassius. I am. I say you are not.

哼,你未必吧,凯西尤。我当然是。我说你不是。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/mgybyw/d6c/487703.html