VOA常速英语2019--寄售让旧衣焕发新生命(在线收听

I feel like there’s a season in everyone’s life for consignment.

我觉得每个人的生活中都有寄售期。

Yay, our first customers! Yay!

是的,我们的第一批客户!耶!

It’s the last hurrah for winter right now.All of the items that didn’t sell over the winter are now fair game.

这是冬天最后的狂欢了。所有在冬天卖不出去的东西现在都可以买了。

They pay one registration fee price,no sales tax,

他们只需支付一笔注册费,无需缴纳销售税,

and are able to choose anything off the rack that they can fit on their bodies.

而且可以选择任何适合自己身材的现成衣服。

That’s called the all-you-can-wear-buffet.

这就是所谓的“你能穿多少就穿多少”的自助餐。

New consigners come about for a number of reasons and it’s usually because of a change in their life.

新的委托人的出现有很多原因,通常是因为他们生活的改变。

either maybe their size changed and their clothes don’t fit anymore,

也许他们的尺寸变了,衣服也不合身了,

or they’ve had a change in their career or a lifestyle

或者他们的职业或生活方式发生了变化

and they need other kinds of clothes, and what they have they don’t need anymore.

他们需要其他类型的衣服,而他们所拥有的,他们不再需要了。

So, it’s a good way to turn around that money into spare cash.

所以,这是一个很好的办法,把这些钱变成备用现金。

Here’s a coupon good for another thirty days.

这是一张30天的优惠券。

Awesome, thank you.

太棒了,谢谢你。

It just means that you enter into an agreement to sell your things

它只是意味着你达成了一个协议来出售你的东西

and share the profit of what they sell for with the person who’s selling them.

并与卖家分享利润。

We have a whole cross-section of America here.

我们这里有整个美国的横截面。

All ethnicities, socio-economic status, genders, we have everyone.

所有种族,社会经济地位,性别,我们都有。

Thank you so much.

非常感谢。

You need some help in what to do?

你需要帮忙做什么?

We don’t want this stuff ending up in the landfill.

我们不希望这些东西最后被扔进垃圾填埋场。

At some point there will be other uses for this fabric,

在将来的某个时候,这种布料还会有其他用途,

especially the nicer fabrics, the cotton’s, and the linens, and the silks,

尤其是那些漂亮的织物、棉的、亚麻的、丝绸的,

which you don’t find as much in retail these days.

这在如今的零售业中已经不常见了。

I think they will always have some value.

我认为它们总是有价值的。

People these days don’t like to mend things.

现在的人不喜欢修补东西。

They don’t like to sew buttons on.

他们不喜欢缝纽扣。

So, they consign it because they don’t want to fix it,don’t have the time or don’t know how.

所以,他们寄售是因为他们不想修复它,没有时间或者不知道如何修复。

So every now and then,I take something home and sew a button on or stitch up a seam on my sewing machine.

所以时不时地,我把一些东西带回家,缝上一颗扣子,或者在缝纫机上缝一条缝。

And that’s all it takes to make it look nice as new.

这让它看起来像新的。

OK, I got to go try these on.

好吧,我得去试穿一下。

When they no longer have a life here,is anyone going to find it useful?

当他们在这里不再有作用时,有人会觉得它有用吗?

I mean if nobody wants to buy it,is somebody gonna want to wear it?

我是说,如果没人想买,会有人想穿吗?

We donate it to a lot of local clothing ministries,and hopefully they’re getting use out of those things.

我们把它捐给了很多当地的服装部,希望他们能从中受益。

From there, they get sold for pennies on the pound.

从那里,他们以每磅几便士的价格出售。

Where they go from there, I’m not sure.

我不确定他们会去哪里。

It’s not working.

这不是工作。

All set?

都安排好了?

When we have beautiful fabrics,it’s hard for me to discard them.

当我们有漂亮的面料时,我很难丢弃它们。

I want to do something novel with them.

我想和他们做一些新奇的事情。

And I really see a need for local industry,for people to come together for a good cause,

我真的看到了地方工业的需要,人们为了一个好的事业走到一起,

and cut these fabrics into strips and weave them into something new.

把这些织物剪成条状,然后织成新的东西。

If it can be created into something useful,people will buy it.

如果它能被创造成有用的东西,人们就会购买它。

It’s something they need and with that money, you know,

这是他们需要的东西,而且你知道,有了那笔钱,

you could fund a halfway house or something useful.

你可以负担起折中的事物,或其他有用的东西。

It’s community working together,

这是社区的共同努力,

taking items that maybe have lost their purpose in life just like many drug addicts,

拿走那些可能已经像吸毒者一样失去生活意义的东西,

and having them recreated into something new.

把它们重新创造成新的东西。

It’s almost like breathing new life into something that needed some hope.

这就像给需要一些希望的东西注入新的生命。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/voastandard/2020/1/495179.html