精美英文欣赏:美国能源部长朱棣文哈佛演讲(在线收听

So my address will follow the classical sonata form of commencement addresses.

毕业典礼演讲都遵循古典奏鸣曲的结构,我的演讲也不例外。

The first movement, just presented, were light-hearted remarks.

刚才是第一乐章—轻快的闲谈。

This next movement consists of unsolicited advice,which is rarely valued, seldom remembered, never followed.

接下来的第二乐章是送上门的忠告。这样的忠告很少有价值,几乎注定被忘记,永远不会被实践。

As Oscar Wilde said,"The only thing to do with good advice is to pass it on. It is never of any use to oneself."

但是,就像王尔德说的:“对于忠告,你所能做的,就是把它送给别人,因为它对你没有任何用处。”

So, here comes the advice.

所以,下面就是我的忠告。

First, every time you celebrate an achievement,be thankful to those who made it possible.

第一,取得成就的时候,不要忘记前人。

Thank your parents and friends who supported you,thank your professors who were inspirational,and especially thank the other professors whose less-than-brilliant lectures forced you to teach yourself.

要感谢你的父母和支持你的朋友,要感谢那些启发过你的教授,尤其要感谢那些上不好课的教授,因为他们迫使你自学。

Going forward, the ability to teach yourself is the hallmark of a great liberal arts education and will be the key to your success.

从整体看,自学能力是优秀的文科教育中必不可少的,将成为你成功的关键。

To your fellow students who have added immeasurably to your education during those late night discussions, hug them.

你还要去拥抱你的同学,感谢他们同你进行过的许多次彻夜长谈,这为你的教育带来了无法衡量的价值。

Also, of course, thank Harvard.

当然,你还要感谢哈佛大学。

Should you forget,there's an alumni association to remind you.

不过即使你忘了这一点,校友会也会来提醒你。

Second, in your future life, cultivate a generous spirit.

第二,在你们未来的人生中,做一个慷慨大方的人。

In all negotiations, don't bargain for the last, little advantage.

在任何谈判中,都把最后一点点利益留给对方。

Leave the change on the table.

不要把桌上的钱都拿走。

In your collaborations,always remember that "credit" is not a conserved quantity.

在合作中,不要把荣誉留给自己。

In a successful collaboration,everybody gets 90 percent of the credit.

成功合作的任何一方,都应获得全部荣誉的90%。

My third piece of advice is as follows: As you begin this new stage of your lives, follow your passion.

我的第三个忠告是,当你开始生活的新阶段时,请跟随你的爱好。

If you don't have a passion,don't be satisfied until you find one.

如果你没有爱好,就去找,找不到就不罢休。

Life is too short to go through it without caring deeply about something.

生命太短暂,所以不能空手走过,你必须对某样东西倾注你的深情。

When I was your age,I was incredibly single-minded in my goal to be a physicist.

我在你们这个年龄,是超级的一根筋,我的目标就是非成为物理学家不可。

After college, I spent eight years as a graduate student and postdoc at Berkeley,and then nine years at Bell Labs.

本科毕业后,我在加州大学伯克利分校又待了8年,读完了研究生,做完了博士后,然后去贝尔实验室待了9年。

During that my time,my central focus and professional joy was physics.

在这些年中,我关注的中心和职业上的全部乐趣,都来自物理学。

Here is my final piece of advice.

我还有最后一个忠告,

Pursuing a personal passion is important,but it should not be your only goal.

就是说兴趣爱好固然重要,但是你不应该只考虑兴趣爱好。

When you are old and gray, and look back on your life,you will want to be proud of what you have done.

当你白发苍苍、垂垂老矣、回首人生时,你需要为自己做过的事感到自豪。

The source of that pride won't be the things you have acquired or the recognition you have received.

物质生活和你实现的占有欲,都不会产生自豪。

It will be the lives you have touched and the difference you have made.

只有那些受你影响、被你改变过的人和事,才会让你产生自豪。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/jmywxs/501216.html