VOA慢常英语2020--寻找住处分(在线收听

Finding Shelter

How are you doing?

你好吗? 

Hey, Mayor!

嘿市长! 

Hey, Darrell! Hey, whats going on? All right.

嘿,达雷尔!过的怎么样?还不错。 

How are you doing?

市长过的怎么样? 

Where are you at? Where are you at? Is that Michael?

你在哪呢?那是迈克尔吗? 

Yeah, thats me.

是的,是我。 

Hey, brother.

嘿,兄弟。 

Hey, its good to see you.

嘿,很高兴见到你。 

You, too. You, too. You hungry? Going to get some dinner tonight? All right.

我也是,你饿了吗?晚上吃了吗?好的。 

So, my compassion for the homeless really started when I was in high school

所以,我对流浪者的同情是从高中开始的, 

and my dad took me to a church that fed homeless on a certain night of the week.

我爸爸会带我去了一个教堂,在一周的某个晚上为无家可归的人提供食物。 

And Ill never forget the moment when I was serving one of my classmates in high school

我永远不会忘记当时我为我高中一个同班同学提供食物, 

and they looked at me and I could just see the shame on their face.

他们看着我的时候,我从他们眼里看到了耻辱。 

At that moment, I knew that could be me

在那一刻,我知道或许我也会有无家可归的那一天, 

and so ever since then, you know, serving the homeless touched me personally.

从那以后,为无家可归的人服务让我深受感动。 

You keeping an eye on Heidi, Les?

你有好好看管海蒂吗,莱斯? 

Yes.

是的。 

No, he doesnt keep an eye…...

不,他不用盯着我…... 

He doesnt?

他不用盯着你吗? 

No. You dont need to keep an eye on me.

不需要,你们不需要盯着我。 

Youre supposed to be in apartment. Why arent you in your apartment?

你应该呆在公寓里。为什么你不在公寓里? 

I dont need a house. This is my house. This is my community.

我不需要房子,这里就是我的房子,这里是我的社区。 

I know this is your community. Are you trying to be my dad?

我知道这是你的社区。你想当我的爸爸吗? 

Yes! No.

是的!这可不行。 

Yes. You cant be my dad.

是的。你可不能当我爸爸。 

No. You are my mom! Shes my….right?

不,你是我妈!她是...对吗? 

Listen, listen to me. I had to…..

听着,听我说,我得... 

This is my mother. This is my adopted mother. I have adopted Heidi.

这是我母亲,我收养的母亲,我收养了海蒂。 

She takes care of me when I am out here on Massachusetts avenue. Oh, yeah!

我在马萨诸塞大街上的时候她会照顾我。哦,是的! 

Raul Nava, 29-year old individual, was living on the streets and was stabbed to death.

29岁的劳尔·纳瓦在街上流浪,结果被刺死了。 

I got a text alert about this and came out and observed it and I said, Ive got to do something.

我收到短信提醒并目睹了这一切,当时我就说,我必须要做些什么。 

I cant let this go on any longer.

我不能再让种事再次发生。 

Yeah, this is my sleeping arrangement and it gets cold out here.

是的,这是我睡觉的地方,现在天气变冷了。 

So, I have a couple of different blankets, obviously sleeping bag.

所以,我有几条不同的毯子,很明显都是睡袋。 

Ive got my army hat here, as it goes on, a sleeping cap, my skull cap.

我的军帽在这里,现在已经变成了我的睡帽。 

I am a graduate of West Point 1994, class of 1994.

我是西点军校的94级毕业生。 

I just got back from my 25th reunion and we got our hats there

我们刚举办完第25届聚会,这个帽子就是聚会上发的, 

and so, I keep that close to my, close to my heart, but its on my head so, maybe its even better, keeping me warm.

所以我让这顶帽子尽可能靠近我的心,不过我只能戴在头上,这样可能更好了,让我感到温暖。 

I lived here for 15 nights, every other night, for over a month,

每个月我都会在这住15晚,每隔一天住一晚, 

to bring a sense of urgency, to bring education awareness

这可以给我带来带来紧迫感,带来教育意识 

and to challenge the community, challenge the city to help me bring more attention

让我看到这个社区、这座城市的问题,让我更加重视这些问题, 

and to bring more resources and to raise funding.

从而给这些地方带来更多资源、筹集更多资金。 

This right here, only took a couple hours to build

建一个这样的小屋子可能只需要几个小时, 

and we can get somebody off the streets, at least two people off the streets immediately.

但它可以让人不用风餐露宿,可以至少让两个流浪者有房可住。 

And so, this is the first step:from the streets, out of the tent, off the sidewalk and into safe and dignified shelter.

因此,这是第一步:从街上,走出帐篷,离开人行道,进入安全而有尊严的庇护所。 

So, we are looking at buying 20 of these

所以,我们正在考虑购买20个这样的小屋子, 

and place them in this parking lot with bathrooms and showers and a place for eating.

把它们安装在这个停车场,里面有浴室和淋浴,还有一个吃饭的地方。 

Unfortunately, the state of California has a requirement

不幸的是,加州有一项规定, 

that any emergency shelter has to have 70 square feet of livable area for one individual

任何紧急避难所必须有70平方英尺的可居住面积 

and then 50 square feet thereafter.

之后又改成了50平方英尺。 

So, right now, this is not legal to stay in, in the state of California, at least by the code.

所以,现在在加州,住在这样的房子里还是不合法的,至少不符合这条法规。 

Well, there you go. All the pictures.

就是这些,所有的图片。 

Hi, are you the mayor? So, where is it?

嗨,你是市长吗?所以这是哪? 

Yeah. Hi. I just got kicked out of my, well, not my homeless shelter, the homeless shelter here.

你好,他们刚刚把我从我的,好吧不是我的,从那里的庇护所里赶了出来。 

Theyre saying that the programs shut down

他们说现在已经关门了, 

and Im wondering is there is any other place that I could stay?

我想知道还有别的地方可以住吗? 

My name is Michelle Dunn. Ive traveled all around this country.

我叫米歇尔·邓恩,整个美国我都走遍了。 

I am finally here. I am stuck. I have no money. I cannot get out of here.

我终于来到了了,但是被困住了。我没有钱,离开不了。 

Could someone please help me?

请问有人可以帮我吗? 

I am frustrated by the bureaucracy.I am frustrated by whatever you want to call it.

官僚主义使我感到沮丧。我很沮丧,不管你怎么称呼它。 

And, you know, people are dying on the streets.

而且,你知道,人们可能在大街上死去。 

People are suffering on the streets and they dont have to.

人们在街头受苦,可以本来可以避免。 

We have the money for this.We have the public opinion.

我们有钱来帮助他们。我们有舆论的支持。 

Public opinion said, "yes"!Political will is with us.

舆论说,“是的,我们要帮助他们”!人们的政治意愿是支持我们的。 

Political will said, "yes, we will do this."But for some reason, there is these, these hoops we have to jump through.

政治意愿说:“是的,我们要帮助他们”!但由于一些原因我们却不得不克服一些困难, 

These hurdles we have to get around, to get over

有一些障碍我们必须规避或者克服, 

are preventing our neighbors without homes from sleeping in this shelter tonight.

否则就会让我们的市民无家可归,风餐露宿。 

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/voastandard/2020/4/501304.html