时代周刊 缉毒警察的自白(在线收听

I am an officer

我是一名警察

BY WALTER BENDER

文/沃尔特·本德

(There is a sequence of photographs in two pages, with caption says)BENDER, not pictured, is a deputy sheriff with the Montgomery County sheriff's office in Dayton, Ohio.

(本文附图数张,图片配文如下)本德,不在照片中,是俄亥俄州代顿市蒙哥马利县治安官办公室的副警长。

DAYTON IS ROUGH.

代顿这个城市很混乱。

I'VE BEEN HERE FOR 11.5 YEARS, AND it's declined.

我来这儿已经11年半了,这里已经衰败了。

The poverty level's pretty bad.

代顿的贫困问题非常严重。

But opioids reach every part of society: blue-collar, white-collar, everybody.

但阿片类药物还是渗透到了社会的各个方面:蓝领,白领,每个人。

It's nonstop.

这里的阿片类药物滥用从来就没停过。

It's every day.

每天都有人在吸。

And it doesn't seem like it's getting any better.

而且看样子也没有好转的迹象。

You get a thick skin over time—either you get it, or it's going to eat you alive eventually.

随着时间的推移,你就能拉下脸了 - 你要么继续吸,要么就被毒瘾折磨至死。

You kind of become cold to seeing somebody overdose.

看到有人滥用毒品,你会变得冷漠。

As an officer, you bury it away.

作为一名警察,你得把情绪收起来。

A lot of us do that.

我们很多人都这样。

That's how we cope.

我们就是这么面对的。

Your emotional attachment to that person that you don't know is you don't have one.

你对那个你不认识的人的情感寄托是你对他没有情感寄托。

It becomes easy to talk about the drug and not talk about the person, to say, "Yeah, just another one."

我们能够轻松做到不谈人只谈毒品,“没错,又是一起药物滥用的案子。” 这样的话也能脱口而出。

But seeing the families that are affected, actually seeing them on the scene, trying to care for their loved ones or friends.

然而,看到他们的家人,亲眼看到他们在那里,想照顾他们的亲人或朋友,

And the things that they do to try to revive them, and they can't, and they're waiting on us or the medics to get there.

看到他们为了让他们重新振作所做的努力,看到他们的努力变成徒劳,便指望我们或医务人员能够过去帮他们。

To see that, to see the children involved, the heartache, it's overwhelming.

看到这些,看到被牵涉进去的孩子,他们心痛的样子,那种感受是难以承受的。

You get numb, but you also learn not to give up.

你会变得麻木,但也学会了不要放弃。

Just because you're going to the same person's house for maybe the eighth time in two weeks, you can't give up.

只是因为某个人家你可能两周就去了八次,你不能放弃。

You never know when it might be the time they actually say, "Hey, I need to go get treatment."

你永远不知道他们什么时候会对你说,“嘿,我得接受治疗了。”

And now we're carrying Narcan (the brand name for naloxone, an overdose antidote) for the first time.

现在我们破天荒地带上了纳洛酮(治疗药物过量的解毒剂的品牌)。

You give somebody Narcan, you give them a second chance at life.

给他们用纳洛酮就是他们第二次生命。

How many times do we have to give it to them to give them a chance?

有多少时间是我们为了挽救他们而不得不给他们用药呢?

There shouldn't be a number.

我们不应为此设置一个数值。

It's not up to us to play God.

上帝不应该有我们来扮演。

As law enforcement, you're sworn to protect and serve.

作为执法部门,我们宣誓要保护大家,为大家服务。

So I talk to everybody out here.

所以我会找每个人谈话。

They might not want to talk to me, but I'm talking to them.

他们可能不想跟我说话,那就由我来说。

I don't just brush by them.

我不只是跟他们接触。

They're a human being.

他们也是人。

A lot of things are lost in the world today and humanity is one of them.

如今,我们已经丧失了很多东西,人道就是其中之一。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/sdzk/513044.html