时代周刊:韩国问题专家车维德就金特会发表看法(2)(在线收听

You’ve said before that Kim won’t give up his nukes, so what would a win look like for the U.S.?

你之前说过,金正恩不会放弃核武器,那么,对美国而言,怎样算胜利呢?

The best outcome would be not just freezing but disabling and dismantling all of their existing programs on a compressed time frame.

最好的结果是在有限的时间期限内,不止冻结,还要禁用并拆除所有现存核项目。

But what we, as experts, think is best could be very different from what President Trump thinks is best.

但或许,我们这些专家眼里最好的结果和特朗普眼里的大不一样。

Trump never has a bad meeting, so I think the atmospherics and the optics will be O.K.

特朗普从来不会让自己吃亏的,所以我觉得,这次峰会的氛围和前景都没有问题。

But I don’t think there is going to be any comprehensive deal.

但我觉得二人不会达成任何全面的协议。

What would be a win for South Korea and Moon?

那对韩国和文在寅而言,怎样才算胜利呢?

The South Koreans just don’t want to go back to 2017.

韩国人唯一的希望就是不要重蹈2017年的覆辙。

They don’t want to be trapped in a military conflict between the U.S. and North Korea.

他们不想再陷入美国和朝鲜之间的军事冲突了。

And I think they deeply value the resumption of bilateral channels of communication

而且,韩朝之间的双边沟通渠道被(前)保守党政府关闭了十年之久,

that were closed for 10 years under the (previous) conservative government.

如今终于得以重新开通,他们是非常珍视这点的。

What do people in the U.S. consistently misunderstand about diplomacy with North Korea?

美国民众对政府的对朝外交政策有哪些长期存在的误解呢?

This is a nuclear security threat to the U.S. that we’ve had to deal with for 30 years,

朝鲜的核问题是一个我们已经历经了30年之久的核安全威胁问题,

and one way or another, we’re reaching the climax of this issue.

不管怎样,我们都已经步入了这个问题的白热化阶段。

It’s deadly serious.

这是一个极其严肃的问题。

And while pictures of leaders embracing are great and make people feel good,

虽然领导人互相拥抱的照片很棒,让民众的感觉也很好,

people have to ask themselves, Are these meetings really making us safer as a country, or are they not?

但大家还是应该扪心自问一下,这些会议真的让我们这个国家更安全了吗?还是没有?

The real question for the President is, Are we going to pretend they got rid of (the nuclear threat),

总统面临的问题则是,我们是假装已经摆脱了朝鲜政权构成的核威胁呢,

or are we going to make certain that whatever agreement is reached,

还是确保无论达成怎样的协议,

this will not be a threat to the American people or to U.S. allies?

都不会对美国民众或美国的盟友构成威胁?

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/sdzk/517793.html