纪录片《为何无法预测地震》 第30期:对下次地震做准备(在线收听

Would you live directly on it, Ken?

肯 你会住在断层上吗

No, when we were looking for a house,

不会 我们找房子的时候

we looked at some houses

看过一些建在

that were right on top of the Sierra Madre fault

塞拉马里断层正上方的房子

and we decided to keep looking.

然后决定继续找别的

Similarly, when we were looking at the house,

同样地 当我们在看房子时

I was probably more interested in the structural integrity of it

我比其他人对房子结构的整体性

and the construction of it than most people would be.

和其构造更为关注

Geologist Ken Hudnut works for the US GS,

地质学家肯·哈德纳特在美国地质局工作

preparing Los Angeles for the next big earthquake.

正在为洛杉矶的下一次强震作准备

You can see here a brand new development

你可以看到那一片新开发区

going right up to the Cucamonga Falls.

正往上向着库卡蒙加瀑布开发

We think that that fault is capable of a magnitude 7.5,

我们认为 即使没有圣安地列斯断层

7.6 earthquake on its own,

那个断层也能

without any involvement of the San Andreas Fault itself.

独自引发7.5级或7.6级地震

That gap is there because

为了与断层保持一定距离

they have to set back away from the fault,

所以那片地空了出来

that's the case for any fault that's considered active,

对于所有活跃断层一律采取这种措施

and by that, the state law says

同时 本州法律规定

if it has had surface faulting within the last 10,000 years

规划地必须与在近一万年内发生过

you need to set back from it.

地表断裂活动的地区保持距离

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/whwfycdz/529089.html