时差N小时 书呆子(2)(在线收听

Feifei:It seems you were an awful student.

飞飞:看来你是个差生。

Diarmuid:Well, it's true I was never a swot.

戴拉蒙德:嗯,这是真的,我从来就不是swot。

Feifei:A what?

飞飞:一个什么?

Diarmuid:A swot. S.W.O.T. Swot.Can you guess what it means?

戴拉蒙德:一个swot。你能猜出它的意思吗?

Feifei:Well, since you say you were not a swot and you got very bad grades at school, I would say that a swot is a very good student.

飞飞:嗯,既然你说你不是一个swot,而你在学校的成绩又非常糟糕,所以我猜swot代表的是非常好的学生。

Diarmuid:You're right.

戴拉蒙德:完全正确。

A swot is a student who spends all their time studying, or swotting.

Swot指的是一个把所有的时间用于学习学生。

Being a swot usually means that other students don't like you. Example

成为这样的人通常意味着其他学生不会喜欢你。下面就是例子。

A:Look at this old photo of our class at school.

A:看这张在学校我们班级的老照片。

B:Oh yes, there's Simon Studious. He was such a swot. I wonder whatever happened to him.

B:哦,是的,这是好学生西蒙。他真是个学霸。我想知道他身上发生过什么。

A:I heard he started his own software company; he's a multi-millionaire now.

我听说他开了自己的软件公司,他现在可是个百万富翁。

B:Oh. Wish I'd worked a bit harder then.

B:哦。真后悔当初我没好好用功。

Diarmuid:But you don't have to be a student to use this word.

戴拉蒙德:但你不必成为一个学生来使用这个词。

We can use the verb form – to swot up – to mean learn more about anything.

我们可以使用其动词形式—意思是刻苦攻读,意味着学习更多关于任何东西。

Feifei:So I could say I'm going to swot up on laptops because I want to buy a new computer.

飞飞:所以我可以说我要研究笔记本电脑,因为我想买一台新电脑。

Diarmuid:You certainly could.

戴拉蒙德:你当然可以。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/scnxs/529884.html