科学美国人60秒 SSS 珍妮·古道尔谈论新冠疫情(在线收听

This is Scientific American's 60-second Science, I'm Steve Mirsky.

这里是科学美国人——60秒科学系列,我是史蒂夫·米尔斯基。

"And with this coronavirus, the hopeful thing is how communities and individuals have gotten together by helping each other."

“在这种冠状病毒疫情下,让人怀有希望的是社区和个人通过互相帮助而团结在一起。”

That is Jane Goodall during a teleconference last week.

这是珍妮·古道尔上周在电话会议上的讲话。

Wednesday, April 22, is the 50th Earth Day.

本周三即4月22日是第50个地球日。

And on Wednesday, Goodall will take part in daylong programming on the National Geographic Channel.

周三,古道尔将参与国家地理频道全天节目。

During the teleconference last week, she was asked what gives her hope during this pandemic.

在上周的电话会议上,她被问到在这场疫情中,什么给予了她希望。

"The incredible courage of the people on the front lines—the doctors, the nurses risking and sometimes losing their lives.

“一线人员所表现的极大的勇气,医生和护士冒着生命危险,有时甚至会失去生命。

Of course, we shall get through this.

当然,我们会度过这段艰难时期。

The big hope is that this time we will pay attention to the cause of the pandemic,

我们最大的希望是,这次我们要关注这场疫情的起因,

which is our disrespect of nature and the animals and the destruction of the environment,

那就是我们不尊重自然和动物,破坏环境,

forcing animals into closer contact with each other and some of them with humans.

迫使动物彼此更密切地接触,有些动物甚至与人类更靠近。

The trafficking, the hunting, the killing, the wet markets, the intensive animal farms, domestic animals

贩卖、狩猎、杀戮、生鲜市场、密集的畜牧场以及家畜,

and all of that is creating conditions for a virus to jump from one species to another."

这一切都为病毒从一个物种传播到另一物种创造条件。”

Goodall was also asked how she hoped the world might change because of the pandemic.

古道尔还被问到,她希望世界因这次疫情发生怎样的变化。

"How I hope it will change and how it changes are two different things in this particular case.

“在这种特殊情况下,我希望世界如何改变和世界如何改变是两回事。

I think probably millions of people, especially those living in cities,

我认为,大概有数百万人,尤其是生活在城市里的人,

have experienced, for the first time, what it's like to breathe fresh air and to see the stars at night and even see wild animals at closer quarters.

第一次体验到了呼吸新鲜空气,夜晚看星星,甚至近距离看到野生动物的感觉。

And I think those people—and I think other people, too—have seen this as a wake-up call that we've disrespected nature.

我认为这些人和其他人都将这视为我们不尊重自然的警示。

And we've got to start changing the way that we act, and we've got to rethink the way we live."

我们必须开始改变我们的行为方式,我们必须重新思考我们的生活方式。”

"We've got to get away from this consumerism, materialism that puts economic development ahead of environmental protection,

“我们必须摆脱这种将经济发展置于环境保护之上的消费主义和物质主义,

which is damaging the future generations of humans and animals.

这两种主义正在损害人类和动物的后代。

The fear as to whether this will make a sea change—the fear is that we have so many political leaders around the world right now.

至于人们担心疫情是否会带来翻天覆地的变化,现在全世界有那么多的政治领袖人,

And I fear that they will want to get back to business as usual as quickly as possible—and even redouble it to make up for lost time."

我恐怕他们想尽快恢复以往状态,甚至加倍努力来弥补失去的时间。”

For Scientific American's 60-second Science. I'm Steve Mirsky.

谢谢大家收听科学美国人——60秒科学。我是史蒂夫·米尔斯基。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/sasss/2021/529961.html