血字的研究 80案情回顾(2)(在线收听

We were ushered into a small chamber,

我们被引进了一间小屋,

where a police inspector noted down our prisoner's name and the names of the men with whose murder he had been charged.

那里有一个警官把我们罪犯的姓名以及他被控杀死的两个人的姓名都记录了下来。

The official was a white-faced, unemotional man, who went through his duties in a dull, mechanical way.

这个警官是个面色白皙、神情冷淡的人,他机械而呆板地履行了他的职务。

"The prisoner will be put before the magistrates in the course of the week," he said;

他说:"犯人将在本周内提交法庭审讯。

"in the meantime, Mr. Jefferson Hope, have you anything that you wish to say?

杰弗逊·侯波先生,你在审讯之前,还有什么话要说吗?

I must warn you that your words will be taken down, and may be used against you."

但是我必须事先告诉你,你所说的话都要记录下来,并且可能用来作为定罪的根据的。"

"I've got a good deal to say," our prisoner said slowly.

我们的罪犯慢慢地说道:"诸位先生,我有许多话要说,

"I want to tell you gentlemen all about it."

我愿意把它原原本本地都告诉你们。"

"Hadn't you better reserve that for your trial?" asked the inspector.

这个警官问道:"你等到审讯时再说不更好吗?"

"I may never be tried," he answered.

他回答说:"我也许永远不会受到审讯了呢,

"You needn't look startled. It isn't suicide I am thinking of. Are you a doctor?"

你们不要大惊小怪,我并不是想要自杀。你是一位医生么?"

He turned his fierce dark eyes upon me as he asked this last question.

他说这句话时,一面把他的凶悍而黧黑的眼睛转过来瞧着我。

"Yes, I am," I answered.

我说:"是的,我是医生。"

"Then put your hand here," he said, with a smile, motioning with his manacled wrists towards his chest.

"那么,请你用手按一个这里。"他说时微笑了一下,一面用他被铐着的手,指了一下胸口。

I did so; and became at once conscious of an extraordinary throbbing and commotion which was going on inside.

我用手按按他的胸部,立刻觉察到里边有一种不同寻常的跳动。

The walls of his chest seemed to thrill and quiver as a frail building would do inside when some powerful engine was at work.

他的胸腔微微震动,就象在一座不坚固的建筑中,开动了一架强力的机平时的情形一样。

In the silence of the room I could hear a dull humming and buzzing noise which proceeded from the same source.

在这静静的屋中,我能够听到他的胸膛里面有一阵轻微的噪杂声音。

"Why," I cried, "you have an aortic aneurism!"

我叫道:"怎么,你得了动脉血瘤症!"

"That's what they call it," he said, placidly.

他平静地说:"他们都这样说。

"I went to a doctor last week about it, and he told me that it is bound to burst before many days passed.

上个星期,我找了一位医生瞧过,他对我说,过不了多少天,血瘤就要破裂。

It has been getting worse for years. I got it from overexposure and under-feeding among the Salt Lake Mountains.

这个病已经好多年了,一年比一年坏起来。这个病,是我在盐湖城大山之中,过度操劳,而且又吃不饱的缘故所引起的,

I've done my work now, and I don't care how soon I go,

现在我已经完成了我的工作,什么时候死,我都不在乎了。

but I should like to leave some account of the business behind me.

但是,我愿意在死以前,把这件事交代明白,死后好有个记载。

I don't want to be remembered as a common cut-throat."

我不愿在我死后让别人把我看成是一个寻常的杀人犯。"

The inspector and the two detectives had a hurried discussion as to the advisability of allowing him to tell his story.

警官和两个侦探匆忙地商量了一下,考虑准许他说出他的经历来是否适当。

"Do you consider, Doctor, that there is immediate danger?" the former asked.

警官问道:"医生,你认为他的病情确实有突然变化的危险吗?"

"Most certainly there is," I answered.

我回答说:"确是这样。"

"In that case it is clearly our duty, in the interests of justice, to take his statement," said the inspector.

这位警官于是说道:"如果是这样的话,为了维护法律起见,显然,我们的职责是首先取得他的口供。

"You are at liberty, sir, to give your account, which I again warn you will be taken down."

先生,你现在可以自由交代了。不过,我再一次告诉你,你所交代的都要记录下来的。"

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/femstaqjsy/533168.html