血字的研究 82案情回顾(4)(在线收听

"They were rich and I was poor, so that it was no easy matter for me to follow them.

他们是有钱的人,而我却是一个穷光蛋。因此,我要到处追赶他们,这件事对我说来并不容易。

When I got to London my pocket was about empty,

当我来到伦敦城的时候,我已经差不多是囊空如洗了。

and I found that I must turn my hand to something for my living.

当时我发觉,我必须找个工作,维持我的生活。

Driving and riding are as natural to me as walking,

赶车、骑马对我来说,就是象走路一样的平常。

so I applied at a cab-owner's office, and soon got employment.

于是我就到一家马车厂去找点工作,立刻就成功了。

I was to bring a certain sum a week to the owner, and whatever was over that I might keep for myself.

每个星期我要向车主缴纳一定数目的租金,剩下的就归我自己所有。

There was seldom much over, but I managed to scrape along somehow.

但是,剩余的钱并不多,可是我总是设法勉强维持下去。

The hardest job was to learn my way about,

最困难的事情是不认识道路。

for I reckon that of all the mazes that ever were contrived, this city is the most confusing.

我认为在所有道路复杂的城市中,再没有比伦敦城的街道更复杂难认的了。

I had a map beside me, though, and when once I had spotted the principal hotels and stations, I got on pretty well.

我就在身旁带上一张地图;直到我熟悉了一些大旅馆和几个主要车站以后,我的工作才干得顺利起来。

"It was some time before I found out where my two gentlemen were living;

"过了好久,我才找到这两位先生居住的地方。

but I inquired and inquired until at last I dropped across them.

我东查西问,直到最后我在无意之中碰上了他们。

They were at a boarding-house at Camberwell, over on the other side of the river.

他们住在泰晤士河对岸坎伯韦尔地方的一家公寓里。

When once I found them out, I knew that I had them at my mercy.

只要我找到了他们,我知道,他们就算落在我的掌握之中了,

I had grown my beard, and there was no chance of their recognizing me.

我已经蓄了胡须,他们不可能认出我来。

I would dog them and follow them until I saw my opportunity.

我紧紧地跟着他们,待机下手。

I was determined that they should not escape me again.

我下定决心,这一次绝不能再让他们逃脱。

"They were very near doing it for all that.

"虽然如此,他们还是几乎又溜掉了。

Go where they would about London, I was always at their heels.

他们在伦敦走到哪儿,我就形影不离地跟到哪里。

Sometimes I followed them on my cab, and sometimes on foot,

有时我赶着马车跟在他们后边,有时步行着。

but the former was the best, for then they could not get away from me.

然而赶着马车却是最好的办法,因为这样他们就无法摆脱我了。

It was only early in the morning or late at night that I could earn anything,

只有在清晨或者在深夜我才做点生意,赚点钱,

so that I began to get behindhand with my employer.

可是这样一来我就不能及时向车主缴纳租金了。

I did not mind that, however, as long as I could lay my hand upon the men I wanted. "

但是,只要我能够亲手杀死仇人,别的我都不管了。"

They were very cunning, though.

但是,他们非常狡猾。

They must have thought that there was some chance of their being followed,

他们一定也意识到,可能有人会追踪他们,

for they would never go out alone, and never after nightfall.

因此他们决不单独外出,也绝不在晚间出去。

During two weeks I drove behind them every day, and never once saw them separate.

两个星期以来,我每天赶着马车跟在他们后面,可是我一次也没有看见他们分开过。

Drebber himself was drunk half the time, but Stangerson was not to be caught napping.

锥伯经常是喝得醉醺醺的,但是,斯坦节逊却从来毫不疏忽。

I watched them late and early, but never saw the ghost of a chance;

我起早摸黑地窥伺着他们,可是总遇不到机会。

but I was not discouraged, for something told me that the hour had almost come.

但是,我并没有因此而灰心失望,因为我总感觉到,报仇的时刻就要来到了。

My only fear was that this thing in my chest might burst a little too soon and leave my work undone.

我惟一担心的却是我胸口里的这个毛病,说不定它会过早地破裂,使我的报仇大事功亏一篑。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/femstaqjsy/533170.html