四签名 02演绎法的研究(2)(在线收听

"No, indeed," I answered brusquely.

我毫不客气地回答道:"我不要试。

"My constitution has not got over the Afghan campaign yet.

阿富汗的战役害得我的体质至今没有恢复。

I cannot afford to throw any extra strain upon it."

我再不能摧残它了。"

He smiled at my vehemence. "Perhaps you are right, Watson," he said.

他对我的恼怒,含笑答道:"华生,也许你是对的。

"I suppose that its influence is physically a bad one.

我也知道这对于身体是有害的,

I find it, however, so transcendently stimulating and clarifying to the mind

不过我感觉它既有这样强烈的兴奋和醒脑的能力,

that its secondary action is a matter of small moment."

它的副作用也就没有什么重要了。"

"But consider!" I said earnestly. "Count the cost!

我诚恳地说道:"可是你也考虑考虑利害得失吧!

Your brain may, as you say, be roused and excited,

你的脑筋也许象你所说的那样,能够因刺激而兴奋起来,

but it is a pathological and morbid process which involves increased tissue-change

然而这究竟是戕害自身的作法。它会引起不断加剧的器官组织变质,

and may at least leave a permanent weakness.

否则至少也会导致长期衰弱,

You know, too, what a black reaction comes upon you.

你也知道这种药所能引起的不良反应,

Surely the game is hardly worth the candle.

实在是得不偿失。

Why should you, for a mere passing pleasure,

你为什么只顾一时的快感,

risk the loss of those great powers with which you have been endowed?

戕害你那天赋的卓越过人的精力呢?

Remember that I speak not only as one comrade to another

你应当知道,我这不仅是从朋友的立场出发,

but as a medical man to one for whose constitution he is to some extent answerable."

而且还是作为一个对你的健康负责的医生而说的话。"

He did not seem offended.

看来,他听了不仅没有生气,

On the contrary, he put his finger-tips together,

反而把十指对顶在一起,

and leaned his elbows on the arms of his chair, like one who has a relish for conversation.

把两肘安放在椅子的扶手上,象是对谈话颇感兴趣的样子。

"My mind," he said, "rebels at stagnation.

他道:"我好动不好静

Give me problems, give me work, give me the most abstruse cryptogram,

给我难题,给我工作,给我最深奥的密码,

or the most intricate analysis, and I am in my own proper atmosphere.

这样我才觉得最舒适,给我最复杂的分析工作,

I can dispense then with artificial stimulants.

才不需要人为的刺激。

But I abhor the dull routine of existence.

我非常憎恶平淡的生活,

I crave for mental exaltation.

我追求精神上的兴奋,

That is why I have chosen my own particular profession,

因此我选择了我自己的特殊职业

or rather created it, for I am the only one in the world."

也可以说是我创造了这个职业,因为我是世界上唯一从事这种职业的人。"

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/femstaqjsy/533185.html