四签名 69凶手的末日(2)(在线收听

It was a little past seven before we reached the Westminster wharf and found our launch awaiting us.

七点稍过,我们到达了西敏士特码头,汽船早已等候在那里了。

Holmes eyed it critically. "Is there anything to mark it as a police-boat?"

福尔摩斯仔细地看了看,问道:"这船上有什么标志指明是警察使用的吗?"

"Yes, that green lamp at the side."

"有,那船边上的绿灯。"

"Then take it off." The small change was made, we stepped on board, and the ropes were cast off.

"那么,摘下去。"绿灯摘下后,我们先后上船。船缆解开了。

Jones, Holmes, and I sat in the stern.

琼斯、福尔摩斯和我都坐在船尾,

There was one man at the rudder, one to tend the engines, and two burly police-inspectors forward.

另外一人掌舵,一人管机器,两个精壮的警长坐在我们的前面。

"Where to?" asked Jones.

琼斯问道:"船开到哪里去?"

"To the Tower. Tell them to stop opposite to Jacobson's Yard."

"到伦敦塔,告诉他们,把船停在杰克勃森船坞的对面。"

Our craft was evidently a very fast one. We shot past the long lines of loaded barges as though they were stationary.

我们的船速度确实很快,超越过无数满载的平底船,

Holmes smiled with satisfaction as we overhauled a river steamer and left her behind us.

又超越过一只小汽船,福尔摩斯微笑地表示满意。

"We ought to be able to catch anything on the river," he said.

他道:"照这样的速度,我们可以把河里的什么船都赶上了。"

"Well, hardly that. But there are not many launches to beat us."

琼斯道:"那倒不见得,不过能够赶上我们这样速度的汽船,确是不多见的。"

"We shall have to catch the Aurora, and she has a name for being a clipper.

"我们必须赶上'曙光'号,那是一只有名的快艇。

I will tell you how the land lies, Watson.

华生,现在没有事,我可以把目前发展的情况和你讲讲。

You recollect how annoyed I was at being baulked by so small a thing?"

你记得不记得我说过一个很不算什么的障碍把我难住了,我是决不甘心的吗?"

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/femstaqjsy/533252.html