四签名 94琼诺赞·斯茂的奇异故事(4)(在线收听

"You forget that we know nothing of all this," said Holmes quietly.

福尔摩斯安详地说道:"你忘了,我们对这些事完全不了解。

"We have not heard your story, and we cannot tell how far justice may originally have been on your side."

你没有把整个的经过告诉我们,因此也就没法说本来你是怎样的有理。"

"Well, sir, you have been very fair-spoken to me,

"啊,先生,还是您说的话公平合理,

though I can see that I have you to thank that I have these bracelets upon my wrists.

虽然说我应当感谢您给我戴上了手镯。

Still, I bear no grudge for that. It is all fair and above-board.

可是,我并不怨恨。这都是光明磊落,公公正正的。

If you want to hear my story, I have no wish to hold it back.

您如果愿意听我的故事,我决不隐瞒,

What I say to you is God's truth, every word of it.

我所要说的句句都是实话。

Thank you, you can put the glass beside me here, and I'll put my lips to it if I am dry. "

谢谢您,请把杯子搁在我身旁,我口渴的时候会把嘴唇靠近杯子来喝的。"

I am a Worcestershire man myself, born near Pershore.

我是伍斯特尔州生人,住在波舒尔城附近。

I dare say you would find a heap of Smalls living there now if you were to look.

我们斯茂族在那里住的很多,

I have often thought of taking a look round there,

我有时很想回去看看,

but the truth is that I was never much of a credit to the family,

可是因为我素来行为不检,

and I doubt if they would be so very glad to see me.

族人们未必对我欢迎。

They were all steady, chapel-going folk, small farmers, well known and respected over the countryside, while I was always a bit of a rover.

他们全是稳重的教徒,都是在乡里受人尊敬的农民,而我却一直就是个流浪汉。

At last, however, when I was about eighteen, I gave them no more trouble, for I got into a mess over a girl

在十八岁的时候我惹出了麻烦,因为我和一个女孩有不清楚的关系,

and could only get out of it again by taking the Queen's shilling and joining the Third Buffs, which was just starting for India.

我为脱身计,只能在就要调往印度的步兵三团中入了伍。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/femstaqjsy/533277.html