身份案 21玩弄感情的骗子(2)(在线收听

The man who entered was a sturdy, middle-sized fellow, some thirty years of age,

进门的男人身体结实,中等身材,三十来岁,

clean-shaven, and sallow-skinned, with a bland, insinuating manner, and a pair of wonderfully sharp and penetrating gray eyes.

胡须刮得干干净净,肤色淡黄,一副殷勤的、曲意奉承的样子,一双锐利逼人的灰色眼睛。

He shot a questioning glance at each of us, placed his shiny top-hat upon the sideboard,

他询问地扫视了我们俩一眼,把那顶有光泽的圆式帽子搁在边架上,

and with a slight bow sidled down into the nearest chair.

微微鞠了个躬,侧身坐在就近的椅子上。

"Good-evening, Mr. James Windibank," said Holmes.

"晚安,詹姆斯·温迪班克先生,"福尔摩斯说道,

"I think that this typewritten letter is from you, in which you made an appointment with me for six o'clock?"

"我想这封打字的信是出自你手的吧,你在信中约定六点钟和我们见面,是吗?"

"Yes, sir. I am afraid that I am a little late, but I am not quite my own master, you know.

"是的,先生。我怕是稍微来迟了,不过我身不由己啊。

I am sorry that Miss Sutherland has troubled you about this little matter,

我很抱歉萨瑟兰小姐拿这种微不足道的事情来麻烦你,

for I think it is far better not to wash linen of the sort in public.

我觉得还是不要家丑外扬的好。

It was quite against my wishes that she came, but she is a very excitable, impulsive girl, as you may have noticed,

她来找你们,这是违背了我的意愿的。你们也已看到了,

and she is not easily controlled when she has made up her mind on a point.

她是个好发脾气、容易冲动的姑娘,她一旦决定干什么就难以自制。

Of course, I did not mind you so much, as you are not connected with the official police,

当然我对你们倒是不太介意,因为你们与官厅警察没有联系;

but it is not pleasant to have a family misfortune like this noised abroad.

不过让这种家庭的不幸张扬到社会上去却也不是令人高兴的事。

Besides, it is a useless expense, for how could you possibly find this Hosmer Angel?"

而且,这是徒劳无益的,因为你怎么可能找到霍斯默·安吉尔这个人呢?"

"On the contrary," said Holmes quietly; "I have every reason to believe that I will succeed in discovering Mr. Hosmer Angel."

"恰恰相反,"福尔摩斯平静地说,“我很有理由相信我会找到霍斯默·安吉尔先生。"

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/femstaqjsy/534146.html