博斯科姆比溪谷秘案 17来到目的地(3)(在线收听

"But you have read the evidence. You have formed some conclusion?

"你已经看过了证词。你已经有了某一些结论了吧?

Do you not see some loophole, some flaw? Do you not yourself think that he is innocent?"

你没有看出其中有漏洞和毛病吗?难道你自己不认为他是无辜的吗?"

"I think that it is very probable."

"我想很可能是无辜的。"

"There, now!" she cried, throwing back her head and looking defiantly at Lestrade. "You hear! He gives me hopes."

她把头往后一仰,以轻蔑的眼光看着雷斯垂德大声地说:"好啦!你注意听着!他给了我希望。"

Lestrade shrugged his shoulders. "I am afraid that my colleague has been a little quick in forming his conclusions," he said.

雷斯垂德耸了耸肩。他说:"我看我的同事结论下得太轻率了吧。"

"But he is right. Oh! I know that he is right. James never did it.

"但是,他是正确的。噢!我知道他是正确的。詹姆斯决没有干这种事。

And about his quarrel with his father,

至于他和他父亲争吵的原因,

I am sure that the reason why he would not speak about it to the coroner was because I was concerned in it."

我敢肯定,他之所以不愿意对验尸官讲是因为这牵涉到我。"

"In what way?" asked Holmes.

福尔摩斯问道:"那是怎样牵涉到你的呢?"

"It is no time for me to hide anything. James and his father had many disagreements about me.

"时间已不允许我再有任何隐瞒了。詹姆斯和他父亲为了我的缘故有很大分歧。

Mr. McCarthy was very anxious that there should be a marriage between us.

麦卡锡先生气切希望我们结婚。

James and I have always loved each other as brother and sister;

我和詹姆斯从小就象兄妹一样相爱。

but of course he is young and has seen very little of life yet, and...and...well, he naturally did not wish to do anything like that yet.

当然,他还年轻,缺乏生活经验,而且...而且...唔,他自然还不想现在马上结婚。

So there were quarrels, and this, I am sure, was one of them."

所以他们吵了起来。我肯定这是吵架的原因之一。"

"And your father?" asked Holmes. "Was he in favour of such a union?"

福尔摩斯问道:"那你的父亲呢?他同意这门亲事吗?"

"No, he was averse to it also. No one but Mr. McCarthy was in favour of it."

"不,他也反对。赞成的只有麦卡锡先生一个人。"

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/femstaqjsy/534489.html