博斯科姆比溪谷秘案 32阐述看法(3)(在线收听

"It is obvious. And now, you see, I had narrowed the field down considerably.

"那是很明显的。好啦,你看,我已经把研究的范围大大地缩小了。

The possession of a gray garment was a third point which, granting the son's statement to be correct, was a certainty.

现在姑且承认那儿子的话是正确的,那么这个人有一件灰色大衣这件事就是完全可以肯定的第三点。

We have come now out of mere vagueness to the definite conception of an Australian from Ballarat with a gray cloak."

对于一个有一件灰色大衣的来自巴勒拉特的澳大利亚人,我们原先只有一种模糊的概念,现在就明确了。"

"Certainly." "And one who was at home in the district,

"那是当然。""他是一个熟悉这个地区的人,

for the pool can only be approached by the farm or by the estate, where strangers could hardly wander."

因为要到这个池塘来必须经过这个农场或经过这个庄园,这个地方,陌生人几乎是进不来的。"

"Quite so." "Then comes our expedition of to-day. By an examination of the ground

"确实是这样。""所以我们今天长途跋涉到这里来。我检查了场地,

I gained the trifling details which I gave to that imbecile Lestrade, as to the personality of the criminal."

了解到了案情的细节,我已经把这个罪犯是个什么样的人告诉了低能的雷斯垂德。"

"But how did you gain them?"

"你是怎样了解到这些细节的?"

"You know my method. It is founded upon the observation of trifles."

"我的方法你是知道的。那就是靠从观察细小的事情当中了解到的。"

"His height I know that you might roughly judge from the length of his stride.

"我知道你可以从他走路步子的大小约略地判明他的高度。

His boots, too, might be told from their traces."

他的靴子也是可以从他的脚印来判明。"

"Yes, they were peculiar boots." "But his lameness?"

"是的,那是一双很特别的靴子。""但是他是个瘸子是怎么看出的呢?"

"The impression of his right foot was always less distinct than his left.

"他的右脚印总是不象左脚印那么清楚。可见右脚使的劲比较小。

He put less weight upon it. Why? Because he limped–he was lame."

为什么?因为他一瘸一拐地走路,他是个瘸子。"

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/femstaqjsy/534588.html