博斯科姆比溪谷秘案 36水落石出(3)(在线收听

"You didn't know this dead man, McCarthy. He was a devil incarnate. I tell you that.

你不了解这个死者麦卡锡。他是个魔鬼的化身。我这是说实话。

God keep you out of the clutches of such a man as he.

愿上帝保佑你可千万不要让他这样的人抓住你的把柄。

His grip has been upon me these twenty years, and he has blasted my life.

这二十年来,他一直抓住我不放,他把我这一生都毁了。

I'll tell you first how I came to be in his power.

我首先告诉你我是怎样落到他手里的。

It was in the early '60's at the diggings.

那是十九世纪六十年代初在开矿的地方。

I was a young chap then, hot-blooded and reckless, ready to turn my hand at anything;

那时我是个年轻小伙子,很容易冲动,也不安分守己,什么都想干;

I got among bad companions, took to drink, had no luck with my claim, took to the bush,

我和坏人结成了一伙,饮酒作乐,在开矿方面失利,

and in a word became what you would call over here a highway robber.

以后当了绿林强盗。

There were six of us, and we had a wild, free life of it,

我们一伙共有六个人,过着放荡不羁的生活,

sticking up a station from time to time, or stopping the wagons on the road to the diggings.

不时抢劫车站和拦截驶往矿场的马车。

Black Jack of Ballarat was the name I went under, and our party is still remembered in the colony as the Ballarat Gang.

我当时化名为巴勒拉特的黑杰克,现在在那个殖民地,人们还记得我们这一伙叫巴勒拉特帮。

"One day a gold convoy came down from Ballarat to Melbourne, and we lay in wait for it and attacked it.

有一天,一个黄金运输队从巴勒拉特开往墨尔本,我们埋伏在路边袭击了它。

There were six troopers and six of us, so it was a close thing, but we emptied four of their saddles at the first volley.

那个运输队有六名护送的骑兵,我们也是六个人,可以说是势均力敌,不过我们一开枪就把四个骑兵打下马来。

Three of our boys were killed, however, before we got the swag.

我们也有三个小伙子被击毙才把那笔钱财弄到手。

I put my pistol to the head of the wagon-driver, who was this very man McCarthy.

我用手枪指着那马车夫的脑袋,他就是现在的这个麦卡锡。

I wish to the Lord that I had shot him then,

我向上帝祷告,如果我当时开枪打死了他,那就谢天谢地了,

but I spared him, though I saw his wicked little eyes fixed on my face, as though to remember every feature.

但是,我饶了他一条命,虽然我当时看到他那双眯缝着的鬼眼睛一直盯着看我,好象要把我脸部的所有特征都牢牢记住似的。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/femstaqjsy/534592.html