歪唇男人 08烟馆巧遇福尔摩斯(2)(在线收听

In a few minutes I had written my note, paid Whitney's bill, led him out to the cab, and seen him driven through the darkness.

我用了几分钟时间写好便条,代惠特尼付清了帐,领他出去上车,目送他在黑夜中乘车辚辚而去。

In a very short time a decrepit figure had emerged from the opium den,

不久,一个衰老的人从那鸦片烟馆里出来,

and I was walking down the street with Sherlock Holmes.

这样我就同歇洛克·福尔摩斯一起走到街上来了。

For two streets he shuffled along with a bent back and an uncertain foot.

大约走了两条街的路程,他总是驼着背,东摇西晃,蹒跚而行。

Then, glancing quickly round, he straightened himself out and burst into a hearty fit of laughter.

然后,他向四周迅速地打量了一下,站直了身体,爆发出一阵尽情的欢笑。

"I suppose, Watson," said he, "that you imagine that I have added opium-smoking to cocaine injections,

"华生,我估计,"他说,"你想象我在注射可卡因

and all the other little weaknesses on which you have favoured me with your medical views."

和其它一些你从医学观点来看也并不反对的小毛病之外,又添了一个阿芙蓉癖吧。"

"I was certainly surprised to find you there."

"我当然很感惊奇会在那里看到你。"

"But not more so than I to find you."

"不过不会比我在那里发现你惊奇得更厉害。"

"I came to find a friend." "And I to find an enemy." "An enemy?"

"我来找一位朋友。""而我是来找一个敌人的。""敌人?"

"Yes; one of my natural enemies, or, shall I say, my natural prey.

"是的,是我的一个天然的敌人,或者,我将称之为我的一个当然的捕获物。

Briefly, Watson, I am in the midst of a very remarkable inquiry,

简单地说,华生,我正在进行一场很不平凡的侦查。

and I have hoped to find a clue in the incoherent ramblings of these sots, as I have done before now.

我打算从这些烟鬼的胡言乱语中找到一条线索,正如我从前干过的一样。

Had I been recognized in that den my life would not have been worth an hour's purchase;

倘若在那烟馆里有人认出我来,那么,顷刻之间,我的性命就会断送掉了。

for I have used it before now for my own purposes, and the rascally lascar who runs it has sworn to have vengeance upon me.

以前我曾为自己的目的到那里去侦查过。那个开烟馆的无赖印度阿三就曾发誓要找我报仇。

There is a trap-door at the back of that building, near the corner of Paul's Wharf,

在保罗码头附近拐角处那房子的后面有一个活板门,

which could tell some strange tales of what has passed through it upon the moonless nights."

它能说得出一些奇怪的、在月黑风高之夜在那里经过的东西的故事。"

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/femstaqjsy/534872.html