国家地理:为什么旅行是一项基本的人类活动(3)(在线收听

I think hope lies in the very nature of travel. Travel entails wishful thinking.

在我看来,希望就存在于旅行的本质中。旅行需要你一厢情愿。

It demands a leap of faith, and of imagination, to board a plane for some faraway land, hoping, wishing, for a taste of the ineffable.

需要放手一搏的信念与想象力,才能搭上飞机前往远方充满期盼与希望的土地,一尝难以言喻的滋味。

Travel is one of the few activities we engage in not knowing the outcome and reveling in that uncertainty.

旅行是少数我们不知道结果却热衷参与的活动之一,着迷于其中的不确定。

Nothing is more forgettable than the trip that goes exactly as planned.

没有什么比完全按计划进行的旅行更容易被忘记的了。

Travel is not a rational activity.

旅行不是理性的活动。

It makes no sense to squeeze yourself into an alleged seat only to be hurled at frightening speed to a distant place where you don't speak the language or know the customs.

挤在一张号称是椅子的座位上,只为了以快得吓人的速度被送到一个语言不通、习俗不熟的地方,这实在没道理。

All at great expense. If we stopped to do the cost-benefit analysis, we'd never go anywhere. Yet we do.

而且还很贵。若我们停下来分析成本效益,我们恐怕哪里都不会去。但我们依然东奔西跑。

That's one reason why I'm bullish on travel's future.

这是我看好旅游的未来的原因之一。

In fact, I'd argue travel is an essential industry, an essential activity.

事实上,我甚至敢说旅行是必要产业、必要活动。

It's not essential the way hospitals and grocery stores are essential.

这跟医院和杂货店的必要有所不同。

Travel is essential the way books and hugs are essential. Food for the soul.

旅行之必要就像书本和拥抱之必要,是心灵的粮食。

Right now, we're between courses, savoring where we've been, anticipating where we'll go.

此刻我们正处于等待上菜的空档,一边回味之前去过的地方,一边期待下个目的地。

Maybe it's Zanzibar and maybe it's the campground down the road that you've always wanted to visit.

或许是桑给巴尔,又或者是一直想着要去的附近露营区。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/gjdl/535698.html