斑点带子案 06海伦小姐(6)(在线收听

Holmes turned to his desk and, unlocking it, drew out a small case-book, which he consulted.

福尔摩斯转身走向他的办公桌,打开抽屉的锁,从中取出一本小小的案例簿,翻阅了一下。

"Farintosh," said he. "Ah yes, I recall the case; it was concerned with an opal tiara.

"法林托歇,"他说,"啊,是的,我想起了那个案子,是一件和猫儿眼宝石女冠冕有关的案子。

I think it was before your time, Watson.

华生,我想起那还是你来以前的事呢。

I can only say, madam, that I shall be happy to devote the same care to your case as I did to that of your friend.

小姐,我只能说我很乐于为你这个案子效劳,就象我曾经为你的朋友那桩案子效劳一样。

As to reward, my profession is its own reward;

至于酬劳,我的职业本身就是它的酬劳;

but you are at liberty to defray whatever expenses I may be put to, at the time which suits you best.

但是,你可以在你感到最合适的时候,随意支付我在这件事上可能付出的费用。

And now I beg that you will lay before us everything that may help us in forming an opinion upon the matter."

那么,现在请你把可能有助于对这件事作出判断的一切告诉我们吧。"

"Alas!" replied our visitor, "the very horror of my situation lies in the fact that my fears are so vague,

"唉,"我们的来客回答说,"我处境的可怕之处在于我所担心害怕的东西十分模糊,

and my suspicions depend so entirely upon small points, which might seem trivial to another,

我的疑虑完全是由一些琐碎的小事引起的,这些小事在别人看起来可能是微不足道的,

that even he to whom of all others I have a right to look for help and advice

在所有的人当中,甚至我最有权利取得其帮助和指点的人,

looks upon all that I tell him about it as the fancies of a nervous woman.

也把我告诉他的关于这件事的一切看做是一个神经质的女人的胡思乱想。

He does not say so, but I can read it from his soothing answers and averted eyes.

他倒没有这么说,但是,我能从他安慰我的答话和回避的眼神中觉察出来。

But I have heard, Mr. Holmes, that you can see deeply into the manifold wickedness of the human heart.

我听说,福尔摩斯先生,你能看透人们心中种种邪恶。

You may advise me how to walk amid the dangers which encompass me."

请你告诉我,在危机四伏的情况下,我该如何办。"

"I am all attention, madam."

"我十分留意地听你讲,小姐。"

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/femstaqjsy/535960.html