斑点带子案 43多行不义必自毙(2)(在线收听

Suddenly there was the momentary gleam of a light up in the direction of the ventilator, which vanished immediately,

突然,从通气孔那个方向闪现出一道瞬刻即逝的亮光,

but was succeeded by a strong smell of burning oil and heated metal.

随之而来的是一股燃烧煤油和加热金属的强烈气味。

Someone in the next room had lit a dark-lantern.

隔壁房间里有人点着了一盏遮光灯。

I heard a gentle sound of movement, and then all was silent once more, though the smell grew stronger.

我听到了轻轻挪动的声音,接着,一切又都沉寂下来,可是那气味却越来越浓。

For half an hour I sat with straining ears.

我竖起耳朵坐了足足半个小时。

Then suddenly another sound became audible -- a very gentle, soothing sound,

突然,我听到另一种声音,一种非常柔和轻缓的声音,

like that of a small jet of steam escaping continually from a kettle.

就像烧开了的水壶嘶嘶地喷着气。

The instant that we heard it,

在我们听到这声音的一瞬间,

Holmes sprang from the bed, struck a match, and lashed furiously with his cane at the bell-pull.

福尔摩斯从床上跳了起来,划着了一根火柴,用他那根藤鞭猛烈地抽打那铃绳。

"You see it, Watson?" he yelled. "You see it?"

"你看见了没有,华生?"他大声地嚷着,"你看见了没有?"

But I saw nothing. At the moment when Holmes struck the light I heard a low, clear whistle,

可是我什么也没有看见。就在福尔摩斯划着火柴的时候,我听到一声低沉、清晰的口哨声,

but the sudden glare flashing into my weary eyes made it impossible for me to tell what it was at which my friend lashed so savagely.

但是,突如其来的耀眼亮光照着我疲倦的眼睛,使我看不清我朋友正在拼命抽打的是什么东西。

I could, however, see that his face was deadly pale and filled with horror and loathing.

可是我却看到,他的脸死一样地苍白,满脸恐怖和憎恶的表情。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/femstaqjsy/536478.html