单身贵族案 28真相大白(5)(在线收听

"Still, if I had married Lord St. Simon, of course I'd have done my duty by him.

"话虽如此,要是我嫁给圣西蒙勋爵,当然我会尽我对他的义务。

We can't command our love, but we can our actions.

我们不能勉强我们的爱情,但是我们却可以勉强我们的行动。

I went to the altar with him with the intention to make him just as good a wife as it was in me to be.

我和他一起步向圣坛时是怀着尽我所能来作他的好妻子的意愿的。

But you may imagine what I felt when, just as I came to the altar rails,

但是你们可以想象,我当时的感觉如何,那就是:正当我走到圣坛栏杆前的时候,

I glanced back and saw Frank standing and looking at me out of the first pew.

我回首一瞥,忽然看到弗兰克站在第一排座位那里望着我。

I thought it was his ghost at first;

起初我还以为是他的鬼魂出现,

but when I looked again there he was still, with a kind of question in his eyes,

但是当我再往那儿看时,发现他仍在那里,眼睛里露出几分疑惑的神色,

as if to ask me whether I were glad or sorry to see him. I wonder I didn't drop.

好像在问,我见到了他,是高兴还是难过。我奇怪我怎么没有昏过去。

I know that everything was turning round, and the words of the clergyman were just like the buzz of a bee in my ear.

我只感到天旋地转,牧师的话,就象一只蜜蜂嗡嗡地在我的耳朵里响着。

I didn't know what to do. Should I stop the service and make a scene in the church?

我不知道该怎么办才好。难道我应该打断仪式的进行,在教堂里闹出一场风波来吗?

I glanced at him again, and he seemed to know what I was thinking,

我又瞧了他一眼,他看来好象知道我在想些什么,

for he raised his finger to his lips to tell me to be still.

因为他把手指贴在嘴唇上,示意我不要作声。

Then I saw him scribble on a piece of paper, and I knew that he was writing me a note.

接着我看到他在一张纸上草草地写了几个字,我明白他是在写一张便条给我。

As I passed his pew on the way out I dropped my bouquet over to him,

我在出来的路上经过那排座位时,让花束掉落在他的座位前面,

and he slipped the note into my hand when he returned me the flowers.

当他捡起花束给我时,悄悄把纸条塞在我的手里。

It was only a line asking me to join him when he made the sign to me to do so.

纸条上只有一行字,要我在他向我发出信号时,就跟着他走。

Of course I never doubted for a moment that my first duty was now to him,

当然,我绝无丝毫怀疑我首要的义务是向他尽责,

and I determined to do just whatever he might direct."

并且决心完全按照他的要求去做。"

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/femstaqjsy/537269.html