绿玉皇冠案 11霍尔德先生的家庭情况(3)(在线收听

"And now there is only she to be described.

"讲到这里,现在只剩下她一个人的情况需要说一说了。

She is my niece; but when my brother died five years ago and left her alone in the world I adopted her,

她是我的侄女;五年前我兄弟去世后,将她孤苦伶仃地遗留在这世界上。

and have looked upon her ever since as my daughter.

我收养了她并一向把她看作我的亲生女儿。

She is a sunbeam in my house -- sweet, loving, beautiful, a wonderful manager and housekeeper,

她是我家里的阳光——温柔,可爱,美丽,很会管理和操持家务,

yet as tender and quiet and gentle as a woman could be.

而且具有妇女应有的那种文雅恬静、极其温顺的气质。

She is my right hand. I do not know what I could do without her.

她是我的左右手,我不知道如果没有她我该怎么办。

In only one matter has she ever gone against my wishes.

只有一件事她违背了我的意愿。

Twice my boy has asked her to marry him, for he loves her devotedly, but each time she has refused him.

我的儿子两次向她求婚,因为他实在是诚心诚意地爱她,但是两次她都拒绝了。

I think that if anyone could have drawn him into the right path it would have been she,

我想如果说有谁能够把我儿子引导到正路上来,那只有她能做到,

and that his marriage might have changed his whole life;

我想他婚后的全部生活将会有所改变。

but now, alas! it is too late -- forever too late!"

可是现在,哎呀!已经是无可挽回了,永远不可挽回了。

Now, Mr. Holmes, you know the people who live under my roof, and I shall continue with my miserable story."

福尔摩斯先生,现在你对我家里所有的人都了解了,下面我把这桩不幸的事继续讲给你听。"

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/femstaqjsy/537762.html