英国新闻听力 伦敦挖出两千年前古代市场证据(在线收听

London is one of the busiest financial centers of the modern world.

伦敦是当今世界最繁忙的金融中心之一。

And historians have revealed evidence that two thousand years ago, business deals were being struck on exactly the same spot.

历史学家揭示了两千年前同一地点商业贸易的证据。

Archeologists have unearthed the oldest handwritten documents ever found in Britain.

考古学家发掘出英国现存最古老的手写文件,

And perhaps fitting me for the financial district, they include receipts for copious amounts of beer.

包括大量啤酒的发票,个人觉得金融区有这个还是挺好的。

Sophie Jackson, project manager for Museum of London Archeology told Rebecca Caspi more.

伦敦考古博物馆项目经理索菲亚·杰克逊向丽贝卡·卡斯皮透露了更多信息。

Well, we found all the tablets on an excavation that we were doing right in the center of the city of London, one of the richest archeological areas in Britain.

我们在英国考古资源最丰富的区域之一--伦敦市正中心挖掘时发现了这些写字板。

And as we dug down, we were digging through essentially what was a Roman river valley.

我们往下挖的时候,实际上挖穿了一个罗马河谷。

And we started finding these little fragments of wood.

然后发现了这些小木片,

There are little fragments of notes of memos, essentially Roman memos, contracts.

有罗马备忘录和合同注释的小碎片。

And there are some documents which are almost like e-mails that sort of people chatting to each other backwards and forwards.

一些文件基本上就像电子邮件一样,大家来回聊天。

So there's one where one Roman is telling that the people are boasting in the market that he's done a really dodgy investment.

在一个文件中,一个罗马人说市场上的人都在吹牛导致他投错了资,

But he can't do anything about it cuz he will appear shabby.但什么也不能做了, 否则会显得很寒酸。

But, but how did they manage to survive so long because we are talking about two thousand years ago really, aren't we?

但是,它们是怎么留存这么长时间的?那可是两千年呀。

The reason they've survived is cuz they are in this lovely boggy wet, essentially back field river channel really.

它们能留存下来是因为这片美丽的湿地,更确切地说是河道后面的地域。

And the water in the channel keeps the oxygen out, preserves all sorts of organic materials that normally decay.

河道中的水将氧气挡在外面,保存着各种通常衰减的有机物质。

So it's really the exceptional preservation conditions on the site that means we have these tablets.

所以,是这个地方异常的保存条件才让这些写字板留存了下来。

And what does it tell us about these early Londoners? And what do we already know about what London was like as a town back then?

那么我们从这些发现中能了解到关于早期伦敦人的什么信息呢?还有,关于当时的伦敦,我们已经了解的有哪些呢?

Well, what's really exciting about the tablets is that they're very early.

关于写字板,特别令人激动的是它的年代很久远。

We think London was founded quite soon after the invasion, possibly 46 or 48.

我们认为,在(罗马)入侵后不久伦敦就建立了,可能是在(公元前)46年或48年。

There's been a lot of debate about what the character of the town looked like in those early years.

关于早年间伦敦有什么具体特征,众说纷纭。

What these tablets tell us is it was absolutely full of businessmen really.

而这些写字板可以告诉我们的是,当年的伦敦真的到处都是商贾。

Yes, there're evidences of military, as well.

对,也有军队的证据。

But you know, it's obviously the town that setting up really really quickly.

很显然这是个建立非常非常快的城市。

We even have information on pretrial hearings and people being caught.

我们甚至还掌握了审前听证会以及抓人等信息,

You know, there're magistrates in place.

当时有地方法官的。

We found these legal documents where they are actually almost like templates for writing contracts.

我们发现这些文件实际上差不多就是起草合同的模板。

There were spaces on these writing tablets for people to write their signatures, to press their seals in.

写字板上都有空白部分,方便人们签名盖章。

I mean, it was all fantastically organized.

安排得极好。

So in terms of the practicalities, would they be sort of scratching these messages directly onto the Word or how would they do it? No.

那么,就可行性来讲,他们会把这些信息直接拼凑到Word上还是怎么做?不会。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/ygxwtl/539056.html