《简·爱》 Chapter 12 第十二章(2)(在线收听

Anybody may blame me who likes, when I add further, that, now and then, when I took a walk by myself in the grounds;

我想再说几句,谁要是高兴都可以责备我,因为当我独个儿在庭园里散步时,

when I went down to the gates and looked through them along the road;

当我走到大门口并透过它往大路望去时,

or when, while Adèle played with her nurse, and Mrs. Fairfax made jellies in the storeroom,

或者当阿黛勒同保姆做着游戏,费尔法克斯太太在储藏室制作果子冻时,

I climbed the three staircases, raised the trap-door of the attic, and having reached the leads,

我爬上三道楼梯,推开顶楼的活动天窗,来到铅皮屋顶,

looked out afar over sequestered field and hill, and along dim sky-line.

极目远望与世隔绝的田野和小山,以及暗淡的地平线。

That then I longed for a power of vision which might overpass that limit;

随后,我渴望自己具有超越那极限的视力,

which might reach the busy world, towns, regions full of life I had heard of but never seen.

以便使我的目光抵达繁华的世界,抵达那些我曾有所闻,却从未目睹过的生气勃勃的城镇和地区。

That then I desired more of practical experience than I possessed.

随后我渴望掌握比现在更多的实际经验。

More of intercourse with my kind, of acquaintance with variety of character, than was here within my reach.

接触比现在范围内更多与我意气相投的人,熟悉更多类型的个性。

I valued what was good in Mrs. Fairfax, and what was good in Adèle,

我珍重费尔法克斯太太身上的德性,也珍重阿黛勒身上的德性,

but I believed in the existence of other and more vivid kinds of goodness, and what I believed in I wished to behold.

但我相信还存在着其他更显著的德性,而凡我所信奉的,我都希望看一看。

Who blames me? Many, no doubt; and I shall be called discontented.

谁责备我呢?无疑会有很多人,而且我会被说成贪心不知足。

I could not help it.

我没有办法。

The restlessness was in my nature.

我的个性中有一种骚动不安的东西。

It agitated me to pain sometimes.

有时它搅得我很痛苦。

Then my sole relief was to walk along the corridor of the third storey, backwards and forwards,

而我唯一的解脱办法是,在三层楼过道上来回踱步。

safe in the silence and solitude of the spot, and allow my mind's eye to dwell on whatever bright visions rose before it.

这里悄无声息,孤寂冷落,十分安全,可以任心灵的目光观察浮现在眼前的任何光明的景象。

And, certainly, they were many and glowing.

当然这些景象很多,而且都光辉灿烂。

To let my heart be heaved by the exultant movement, which, while it swelled it in trouble, expanded it with life.

可以让心脏随着欢快的跳动而起伏,这种跳动在烦恼中使心脏膨胀,同时又以生命来使它扩展。

And, best of all, to open my inward ear to a tale that was never ended.

最理想的是,敞开我心灵的耳朵,来倾听一个永远不会结束的故事。

A tale my imagination created, and narrated continuously;

这个故事由我的想象所创造,并被继续不断地讲下去。

quickened with all of incident, life, fire, feeling, that I desired and had not in my actual existence.

这个故事还由于那些我朝思暮想,却在我实际生活中所没有的事件、生活、激情和感觉,而显得更加生动。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/jasy/549618.html