《简·爱》 Chapter 15 第十五章(14)(在线收听

I had seen him lying there myself in the mornings.

我自己就在早上看到过它躺在那里。

The idea calmed me somewhat.

这么一想,心里也便镇静了些。

I lay down. Silence composes the nerves.

我躺了下来,沉寂安抚了我的神经。

And as an unbroken hush now reigned again through the whole house, I began to feel the return of slumber.

待到整所房子复又被一片宁静所笼罩时,我感到睡意再次袭来。

But it was not fated that I should sleep that night.

但是那天晚上我是注定无法睡觉了。

A dream had scarcely approached my ear, when it fled affrighted, scared by a marrow-freezing incident enough.

梦仙几乎还没接近我的耳朵,便被足以使人吓得冷入骨髓的事件唬跑了。

This was a demoniac laugh — low, suppressed, and deep — uttered,

那是一阵恶魔般的笑声--压抑而低沉--

The head of my bed was near the door,

我的床头靠门,

But I rose, looked round, and could see nothing.

但是我起身环顾左右,却什么也没有看到。

While, as I still gazed, the unnatural sound was reiterated.

而当我还在凝神细看时,那不自然的声音再次响起。

And I knew it came from behind the panels.

而且我知道来自嵌板的背后。

My first impulse was to rise and fasten the bolt; my next, again to cry out, "Who is there?"

我的第一个反应是爬起来去拴好门,接着我又叫了一声"谁在那里?"

Something gurgled and moaned.

什么东西发出了咯咯声和呻吟声。

Ere long, steps retreated up the gallery towards the third-storey staircase.

不久那脚步又退回走廊,上了三楼的楼梯。

A door had lately been made to shut in that staircase.

最近那里装了一扇门,关闭了楼梯。

I heard it open and close, and all was still.

我听见门被打开又被关上,一切复归平静。

"Was that Grace Poole? And is she possessed with a devil?" thought I.

"那是格雷斯·普尔吗,难道她妖魔附身了,"我想。

Impossible now to remain longer by myself.

我独个儿再也待不住了。

I must go to Mrs. Fairfax.

我得去找费尔法克斯太太。

I hurried on my frock and a shawl.

我匆匆穿上外衣,披上披肩。

I withdrew the bolt and opened the door with a trembling hand.

用抖动着的手拔了门栓,开了门。

There was a candle burning just outside, and on the matting in the gallery.

就在门外,燃着一支蜡烛,留在走廊的垫子上。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/jasy/549694.html