《简·爱》 Chapter 37 第三十七章(2)(在线收听

I thought I had taken a wrong direction and lost my way.

我以为我走错了方向,迷路了。

The darkness of natural as well as of sylvan dusk gathered over me.

大自然的黑暗和森林的黄昏笼罩着我。

I looked round in search of another road.

我环顾四周寻找另一条路。

There was none: all was interwoven stem, columnar trunk, dense summer foliage -- no opening anywhere.

一点也没有:所有的都是交织在一起的茎,柱状的树干,浓密的夏季树叶——任何地方都没有出口。

I proceeded: at last my way opened, the trees thinned a little;

我继续往前走去。这条路终于有了出口,树林也稀疏些了。

presently I beheld a railing, then the house -- scarce, by this dim light, distinguishable from the trees;

我立刻看到了一排栏杆。随后是房子——在暗洞洞的光线中,依稀能把它与树木分开。

so dank and green were its decaying walls.

颓败的墙壁阴湿碧绿。

Entering a portal, fastened only by a latch, I stood amidst a space of enclosed ground, from which the wood swept away in a semicircle.

我进了一扇只不过上了栓的门,站在围墙之内的一片空地上,那里的树木呈半园形展开。

There were no flowers, no garden-beds; only a broad gravel-walk girdling a grass-plat, and this set in the heavy frame of the forest.

没有花草,没有苗圃。只有一条宽阔的砂石路绕着一小片草地,藏于茂密的森林之中。

The house presented two pointed gables in its front;

房子的正面有两堵突出的山墙。

the windows were latticed and narrow: the front door was narrow too, one step led up to it.

窗子很窄,装有格子,正门也很窄小,一步就到了门口,

The whole looked, as the host of the Rochester Arms had said, "quite a desolate spot."

正如“罗切斯特纹章”的老板所说,整个庄园显得“十分荒凉”,

It was as still as a church on a week-day: the pattering rain on the forest leaves was the only sound audible in its vicinage.

静得像周日的教堂。落在树叶上的哗哗雨声是附近入耳的唯一声音。

"Can there be life here?" I asked.

“这儿会有生命吗?”我暗自问道。

Yes, life of some kind there was;

不错,是存在着某种生命,

for I heard a movement -- that narrow front-door was unclosing, and some shape was about to issue from the grange.

因为我听见了响动——狭窄的正门打开了,田庄里就要出现某个人影了。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/jasy/550396.html