科学美国人60秒 科学界消失的女性(1)(在线收听

Hello, 60-Second Science listeners. I’m Katie Hafner.

60秒科学的听众们, 大家好。我是凯蒂·哈夫纳。

And I’m the host of a new podcast called Lost Women of Science.

我是新播客《科学界消失的女性》的主持人。

I’ve been writing about science and technology for decades, most of that time for the New York Times, but very rarely did I write about a woman who was a major figure.

几十年来,我一直在写科技方面的文章,大部分时间都在为《纽约时报》撰稿,但我很少写一位女性人物的文章,她是一个重要人物。

I don’t remember it bothering me very much at the time. It just seemed normal.

我记得当时这不会让我很困扰。 这看起来很正常。

I believed I was writing about the most important people in their fields, but it became clear, as my career went on, that important figures were missing, namely women.

我以为我写的是他们领域里最重要的人物,但随着我职业生涯的发展,我发现这些重要人物消失了,也就是这些女性消失了。

I started asking why this was a couple of years ago.

几年前我就开始问为什么会这样。

And I kept coming back to something called the Matilda effect, which is basically a bias against acknowledging women for their work in science.

我一直在说玛蒂尔达(Matilda effect)效应,这基本上是一种歧视,不承认女性在科学领域的工作。

Instead the credit goes to a man.

相反,功劳归于一个男人。

A good example I saw in the news recently is Jocelyn Bell Burnell.

我最近在新闻中看到的一个很好的例子是乔斯林·贝尔·伯内尔。

She’s a radio astronomer who discovered the first two pulsars, but the Nobel Prize went to a man.

她是一位发现了前两颗脉冲星的射电天文学家,但诺贝尔奖颁给了一位男性。

If we don’t catch these misattributions, these women can just fade away from our consciousness, and we’ll never know the truth about their story and about our history.

如果我们不能发现这些错误的归因,这些女性就会从我们的意识中淡出,我们永远不会知道她们的故事和我们历史的真相。

I started this podcast to retrieve these scientists from oblivion.

我着手这个播客是为了让这些科学家从遗忘中恢复过来。

We put together a trailer for this series and here it is:

我们为这个系列制作了一个预告片,如下:

I'm Katie Hafner, host of a new podcast called Lost Women of Science.

我是凯蒂·哈夫纳,新播客《科学界消失的女性》的主持人。

Through history women have made hundreds of scientific breakthroughs.

纵观历史,女性已经取得了数以百计的科学突破。

She had a sixth sense about this disease that enabled her to sort of pick out, um, I think important clues.

她对这种疾病有第六感,这使她能够挑选出,嗯,我认为重要的线索。

She was helpful in a very different unnoticed way.

她以一种完全不同却不为人知的方式帮了我的忙。

She put this puzzle together.

她把这个谜题拼凑在一起。

But many, if not, most of these scientists are missing from the public's consciousness.

但是很多人,如果不这样的话,这些科学家中的大多数都从公众的意识中消失了。

And as I added up all this data in my head, it gradually became clear that her place had been ignored.

当我在脑子里把这些数据加起来的时候,我逐渐意识到她的地位被忽视了。

Each season, we'll explore and celebrate the life and work of one woman who shaped our understanding of the world.

每一季,我们都会探索和庆祝一位女性的生活和工作,这位女性塑造了我们对世界的理解。

And we’ll delve into some of the reasons you might not know her name.

我们将深入探讨一些你可能不知道她名字的原因。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/sasss/2022/550431.html