华盛顿邮报 拜登大手一挥,减免学生贷款--最高可达2万美元(2)(在线收听

And you mentioned income eligibility here on Pell Grants.

你在佩尔助学金中提到了减免需要的收入资格。

In general, are there other income eligibility requirements here for the student-loan forgiveness?

一般来说,学生贷款减免还有其他收入资格要求吗?

Yes. Key to this plan is that for individuals, you have to be making $125,000 or less, and this was in the 2021 or 2022 tax year.

是的。这个计划的关键是,对于个人来说,你必须在2021或2022年按12.5万美元或更少收入纳税。

And this is your adjusted gross income.

这是调整后的总收入。

And for couples who are married, filing jointly, you'd have to be making $250,000 or less.

对于已婚夫妇,共同提交申请,你的收入必须满足25万美元或更少。

The amounts that The White House is proposing or planning to do would really wipe out the debt completely for about 20 million borrowers and cut it in half for very many more.

白宫正在提议或计划的数额将真正彻底消除约2000万借款者的债务,并将更多借款者的债务减半。

A lot of the distribution of the relief, I think, goes to people who typically earn $75,000 or less.

我认为,减免的权力大部分分配给了通常收入在7.5万美元或更少的人。

I think they said about 90% of the relief is going to them.

我想他们说90%的减免都给了他们。

So this is a pretty significant amount of forgiveness.

所以这是很大数额的减免。

I mean, keep in mind, this is not what many people were calling for.

我的意思是,记住,很多人没有要求这么大数额的减免。

Particularly more liberal parts of the Democratic Party had wanted $50,000 in forgiveness.

尤其是民主党中比较开明的那部分人,他们希望得到5万美元的减免。

And the president had never said that he was willing to do that.

总统从来没有说过他愿意这么做。

$10,000 was his hard number.

1万美元是他不能让步的数字。

So the additional $10,000 for Pell recipients was a bit surprising.

因此,佩尔奖学金获得者可以额外获得的1万美元有点令人惊讶。

And, so, if you are a student coming from a household where they're making $60,000 or less, very often, that's first-generation college students.

如果你的家庭年收入在6万美元或以下,那通常是第一代享受减免的大学生。

That's a lot of racial minorities and a lot of low-income students who are attending community colleges, seeking trades.

有很多少数族裔和低收入家庭的学生在社区大学寻求这一减免。

A lot of blue-collar workers and such would fall into that category.

很多蓝领工人之类的人都属于这一类。

So, I think he was able to accomplish a political goal in a way that felt comfortable.

我认为他能够以一种让人舒服的方式完成一个政治目标。

Yeah, I'm interested in the timing of this.

我对此实施的时间很感兴趣。

Before I get to that, I did want to know how the loan cancellation is expected to be distributed.

在此之前,我确实想知道贷款减免预计将如何分配。

Is it like borrowers will receive a check in the mail?

借款人会通过邮件收到支票吗?

That's not what's going to happen, right?

那不会是将要发生的,对吧?

Oh, no, no. No, it's not like a refund.

哦,不, 不。不,这不是退款。

Man, I've received so many questions about that in particular.

伙计,我收到了很多关于这个的问题。

No. It is essentially like if you took a loan at a bank and I'm forgiving $10,000 of that loan, you will just see a balance that is $10,000 less than what you owed.

不。这基本上就像是,如果你在银行借了一笔贷款,我免除了其中的10,000美元,你只会看到余额比你欠的少10,000美元。

That is all that is. It is not money coming back to individual people.

这就是全部。这笔钱不会回流到个人身上。

As far as applying for it, now, the Department of Education has some of the income data on many borrowers, but not all.

至于申请,现在,教育部有很多借款人的部分收入数据,但不是全部。

So it's not going to be as seamless as many people had hoped.

因此,它不会像许多人希望的那样天衣无缝。

So, about like 8 million people will likely have automatic loan forgiveness, meaning they don't have to submit any form attesting to what their income is, but the rest of the 30-some-odd-million people will actually have to submit a form, which the Department of Education said should be out in the coming weeks.

因此,大约有800万人可能会自动获得贷款减免,这意味着他们不需要提交任何表格来证明他们的收入,但剩下的3000多万人实际上必须提交一份表格,教育部表示,这份表格将在未来几周内公布。

Okay. More forms to fill.

好的。需要填写更多的表格。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/hsdyb/551541.html