羊皮卷的故事(13)(在线收听

You, yourself, have said that wealth is good

您自己也说过,

when it brings joy to others.

能带给人快乐的财富便是美好的。

Why then is my ambition to be wealthy not a good one?

那么,我要成为一个有钱人有什么不好?

Poverty may fee a privilege and even a way of life for the monk in the desert,

“只有沙漠里的和尚,才适合过苦日子。

for he has only himself to sustain and none but his god to please,

因为他们只需养活自己,除了神以外,不用讨好别人。

but I consider poverty to be the mark of a lack of ability

可是我不同,对我来说,

or a lack of ambition.

贫穷只意昧着无能无志,

I am not deficient in either of these qualities!"

而我并非这样不中用的人!

Pathros frowned,

柏萨罗皱起眉头,

"What has caused this sudden outburst of ambition?

什么事情让你突发奇想,踌躇满志?

You speak of providing for a family yet you have no family lest it be I

你说要养家糊口,可是你并没有家人呀?”

who have adopted you since the pestilence removed thy mother and father."

除了我这个在你父母病故后收养你的人。

Hafid's sun-darkened skin could not hide the sudden flush in his cheeks.

海菲那被太阳晒得黑黑的面庞,掩盖不住突然泛起的红晕。

"While we encamped in Hebron before journeying here

我们路过希伯伦的时候,

I met the daughter of Calneh.

我遇见了卡奈的女儿。

She... she..."

她……她……”

"Oh, ho, now the truth emergeth.

“喔,喔,现在说实话了,

Love, not noble ideals, has changed my camel boy into a mighty soldier

不是什么大道理,是爱情让我们看管骆驼的男孩变成伟大的勇士,

ready to battle the world.

要向全世界挑战了。

Calneh is a very wealthy man.

卡奈非常有钱,

His daughter and la camel boy?

他能让自己的女儿和一个喂骆驼的穷小子在一起吗?

Never! But his daughter and- a rich, young, and handsome merchant . . .

决不可能!如果是一个年轻有为、英俊潇洒的商人,

ah, that is another matter.

嗯,那又另当别论了。

Very well, my young soldier,

好吧,小伙子,

I will help you begin your career as a salesman."

我可以助你一臂之力,让你做一名推销员,开创自己的事业。”

The lad fell to his knees and grasped Pathros' robe.

少年跪在地上,感激地抓住主人的长袍。

"Sire, sire!

“老爷,老爷,

How can I say the words to show my thanks?"

我不知该怎样报答您才好?”

Pathros freed himself from Hafid's grip and stepped back.

柏萨罗挣脱了海菲的手,退后一步,

"I would suggest you withhold thy thanks for the present.

“先别谢我,

Whatever aid I give thee will be as a grain of sand

我能给你的帮助微如尘埃,

compared to the mountains you must move for yourself."

最重要的,还是要靠你自己持之以恒的努力。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/sjszwddtxysy/557007.html