羊皮卷之三(1)(在线收听

The Scroll Marked 3

羊皮卷之三

I will persist until I succeed.

坚持不懈,直到成功。

In the Orient

在古老的东方,

young bulls are tested for the fight arena in a certain manner.

挑选小公牛列竞技场格斗有一定的程序、

Each is brought to the ring

它们被带进场地,

and allowed to attack a picador who pricks them with a lance.

向手持长矛的斗牛士攻击,

The bravery of each bull is then rated with care

裁判以它受激后

according to the number of times he demonstrates his willingness

再向斗牛士进攻的次数多寡

to charge in spite of the sting of the blade.

来评定这只公牛的勇敢程度。

Henceforth will I recognize that each day

从今往后,我须承认,

I am tested by life in like manner.

我的生命每天都在接受类似的考验。

If I persist,

如果我坚韧不拔,

if I continue to try,

勇往直前,

if I continue to charge forward,

迎接挑战。

I will succeed.

那么我一定会成功。

I will persist until I succeed.

坚持不懈,直到成功。

I was not delivered unto this world in defeat,

我不是为了失败才来到这个世界上的,

nor does failure course in my veins.

我的血管里也没有失败的血液在流动。

I am not a sheep waiting to be prodded by my shepherd.

我不是任人鞭打的羔羊,

I am a lion

我是猛狮,

and I refuse to talk, to walk, to sleep with the sheep.

不与羊群为伍。

I will hear not those who weep and complain,

我不想听失意者的哭泣,抱怨者的牢骚,

for their disease is contagious.

这是羊群中的瘟疫,

Let them join the sheep.

我不能被它传染。

The slaughterhouse of failure is not my destiny.

失败者的屠宰场不是我命运的归宿。

I will persist until I succeed.

坚持不懈,直到成功。

The prizes of life are at the end of each journey,

生命的奖赏远在旅途终点,

not near the beginning;

而非起点附近。

and it is not given to me to know how many steps are necessary

我不知道要走多少步

in order to reach my goal.

才能达到目标。

Failure I may still encounter at the thousandth step,

踏上第一千步的时候,仍然可能遭到失败。

yet success hides behind the next bend in the road.

但成功就藏在拐角后面,

Never will I know how close it lies

除非拐了弯,

unless I turn the corner.

我永远不知道还有多远。

Always will I take another step.

再前进一步,

If that is of no avail I will take another, and yet another.

如果没有用,就再向前一步。

In truth, one step at a time is not too difficult.

事实上,每次进步一点点并不太难。

I will persist until I succeed.

坚持不懈,直到成功。

Henceforth, I will consider each day's effort as but one blow of my blade

从今往后,我承认每天的奋斗就像

against a mighty oak.

对参天大树的一次砍击,

The first blow may cause not a tremor in the wood, nor the second, nor the third.

头几刀可能了无痕迹。

Each blow, of itself, may be trifling, and seem of no consequence.

每一击看似微不足道,

Yet from childish swipes the oak will eventually tumble.

然而,累积起来,巨树终会倒下。

So it will be with my efforts of today.

这恰如我今天的努力。

I will be liken to the rain drop which washes away the mountain;

就像冲洗高山的雨滴,

the ant who devours a tiger;

吞噬猛虎的蚂蚁,

the star which brightens the earth;

照亮大地的星辰,

the slave who builds a pyramid.

建起金字塔的奴隶,

I will build my castle one brick at a time

我也要一砖一瓦地建造起自己的城堡,

for I know that small attempts,

因为我深知水滴石穿的道理,

repeated, will complete any undertaking.

只要持之以恒,什么都可以做到.

I will persist until I succeed.

坚持不懈,直到成功。

I will never consider defeat

我绝不考虑失败,

and I will remove from my vocabulary such words and phrases as quit,

我的字典里不再有放弃、

cannot, unable, impossible, out of the question,

不可能、办不到、没法子、成问题、

improbable, failure, unworkable, hopeless, and retreat;

失败、行不通、没希望、退缩……

for they are the words of fools.

这类愚蠢的字眼。

I will avoid despair

我要尽量避免绝望,

but if this disease of the mind should infect me

一旦受到它的威胁,

then I will work on in despair.

立即想方设法向它挑战。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/sjszwddtxysy/557029.html