[职场礼节美语之二十七]让人等电话不礼貌
时间:2011-09-22 06:29:39
搜索关注在线英语听力室公众号:tingroom,领取免费英语资料大礼包。
(单词翻译)
陈豪在北京的ABC美国公司工作,他的美国同事Amy来找他谈事儿。
(Office ambience)
A:Hi Chen Hao, have you got a minute?
C:Amy, 刚才你过来的时候,我正在电话上。
A:It's not polite to hang around when someone is the phone so I
decided1 to come back.
C:嗨,别提了。我刚才一直在电话上等。想挂,可是好不容易才打通,挂了又得从头来,我就在那儿傻等着,烦死了。
A:I know what you mean. Putting callers on hold for more than thirty seconds is bad for customer relations.
C:半分钟,别说半分钟;我刚才足足等了半小时。不过,Amy, 说实话,我让别人等的时候,有时候也容易把时间忘了。What can I do?
A:Watch the clock. Time passes quickly for the person who is busy with other callers or issues, but for the person on hold, time creeps by.
C:就是这么回事。在电话上等,确实觉得时间过得特别慢,所以越等越不耐烦。
A:Since your job doesn't involve answering other people's calls, I would guess that your callers are waiting for you to look up information while they hold.
C:没错,一般情况下,我都会让客户在电话上等着别挂,我马上设法帮他们解决问题。
A:There is a difference in holding for someone to answer the phone and holding for someone to look up information for you.
C:在线上等别人接你的电话和等别人去帮你查资料有什么不一样呢?
A:If you ask people to hold while you are looking up information or trying to help them in some way, they are willing to wait.
C:我怎么还是不明白?
A:People are happy to wait while you work on their behalf.
C:噢,他们知道对方是在为自己解决问题,所以等得心甘情愿。那些等着别人接听电话的人呢?
A:When you take your time getting to the call, the caller starts to imagine all sorts of
scenarios2.
C:没错,我就经常怀疑对方是把我给忘了。
A:The caller may suspect you don't think the caller is important.
C:还有呢?
A:Maybe you don't value the caller's time?
C:对呀,在线上等电话是越等越急,越急就容易胡思乱想。
A:Yes, and the result is that your caller is pretty annoyed when you finally answer the phone.
C:没错,那客户肯定很不高兴,觉得我没有礼貌。
A:Exactly. So if you want to avoid making people feel
unimportant3 or ignored, pick up your phone as soon as you know you have a caller waiting.
C:如果没办法马上接电话,我通常都会让秘书请客户决定,是在线上继续等,还是在电话信箱里留言。
A:Exactly, good business
etiquette4 as usual is to be considerate of the other person.
分享到: