创业成功人士访谈录 第89期:我们不做艺术买卖(5)
时间:2017-03-23 02:32:22
搜索关注在线英语听力室公众号:tingroom,领取免费英语资料大礼包。
(单词翻译)
It’s a completely different thing, and we’d never pretend otherwise.
这完全是不同的,我们从不假装如此。
You can try to view an art fair like an exhibition—and you might actually get some fantastic moments—
你可以把艺术博览会看作一个展览,实际上也确实能发现很多令人惊异的时刻,
but you’ve got to have your blinkers on,
但你必须集中精神,
because when you’re looking at one thing you’ve got a hundred others shouting for your attention.
因为当你看一个作品的时候,还有另外100个在吸引着你的眼球呢。
A lot of people can’t focus in that context, though I think we’ve managed to train ourselves to do it.
许多人在这上面无法集中精力,尽管我想我们已经被训练得适应这一点了。
Speaking of training, did you find at the outset that you already had the business
acumen1 for a fair? Up to that point, you were running a magazine.
说到训练,从一开始,你们就有 组织博览会的商业头脑吗?因为你们之前一直在运营一本杂志。
Well, by default, when Amanda and I started the magazine we had to manage the business side.
当阿曼达和我开创这个杂志的时候,我们必须将杂志的商业方面做好。
No one else was going to do it. So while we were editing the magazine,
那时,也没有其他人来做这个。当我们编辑杂志的时候,
we had to do accounts. We’ve had to do cashflow
projections2.
我们还得学会做账。我们必须处理现金流规划。
We’ve done every single job,both of us,on the magazine and every single job on the fair.
每一项工作我们都做过,无论是杂志还是博览会上的任何一项工作。
You know, I remember someone saying to us, “Oh,my God, you were intellectuals, and now you're businesspeople.”
你知道,我记得有人跟我说过:天呀,你们以前可是知识分子,现在竟然变为商人了。
Oh, yes.
嗯,是的。
And it was
hilarious3 for us to hear that, because we don’t see a huge change.
听到这种想法我们觉得有些 可笑。因为我们并未发现这么大的变化。
Oddly enough,I think people’s conception of what we do is quite different from the reality of it,
很奇怪,我觉得人们认为我们做了什么和实际上我们做了什么,这之间有很大区别
because we always had to manage the business side, but it’s not as if we are directly involved with the sale of art now in any way.
因为我们一方面必须维持它的商业面,但这并不是说我们就直接做艺术买卖。
What does a gallery want from a fair organizer?
一个画廊想从一个博览会组织者那里得到什么呢?
If a gallery comes to a fair, they want the logistics to work.
画廊参加博览会,是希望一切工作能有后勤保障。
They want to walk in and see that their walls are good, the light’s good, the floors-everything that enables them to get on and do their work.
他们希望进来以后, 看到他们的展台墙面很好,灯光和地板也好,方方面面都能够保证他们顺利开展工作。
And that includes providing a place that attracts curators,collectors, and critics.
所以,这就需要提供一个地方,能将策展人,收藏家和评论家吸引过来。
They want a productive environment.
他们需要一个具有生产力的环境。
分享到: