世界500强CEO访谈 第57期:百思买集团布菜恩邓恩 领导意味着更多责任(2)
时间:2017-03-31 02:31:44
搜索关注在线英语听力室公众号:tingroom,领取免费英语资料大礼包。
(单词翻译)
How did it affect your career?
那对于您的事业有怎样的影响呢?
It changed me as a leader. I got really focused on: What are the big rocks that we need to move? I can still fall into some of the
petty1 traps,but I worked really hard to say, is this really important or is this just like a little
ego2 thing for me?
我关注的是:在前进的道路上我们需要克服的困难都有哪些?在发展的过程中,我们仍有可能掉进一些陷阱中,但是我工作非常努力,因为我想要确定哪些事情是对我们真正重要的。
Tell me about the best bosses you’ve worked for.
请跟我们说一下您工作过程中遇到的最好的老板。
Let me tell you a quick story that I think will
illustrate3 it the best.
让我告诉你一个小故事,我认为是最好的经历。
My first day at Best Buy in 1985,I got handed a sales book and I got sent out on the floor, and
essentially4 that was the training.
我第一天到百思买上班是1985年,那天我拿到了一本销货簿,那就是我们的培训。
And the store manager came up to me a couple days later and said, “How do you like it here?”
几天之后,部门经理来问我说:"在这里工作感觉怎么样呢?"
And I said: “You know what? I hate it.
我说:"你知道吗,我不喜欢这里的工作,
There’s no training. I’ve got people
grabbing5 at me.”
连个培训都没有。人们抓着我不放。"
And then he looked at me and he started talking to me about the Minnesota Twins—this was in Minnesota.
他看了看我然后开始跟我讲有关明尼苏达双城的事情,
Started talking to me about the Vikings, talking to me about my fiancee, and then talked to me about fishing.
那是在明尼苏达谈论维京部族,谈论我的未婚妻,谈论钓鱼等等。
He started to get to know me and then he said: “You know, I come in early on Saturdays.
他对我有了一定的了解之后又跟我说:"我周六早上都会很早来公司,
If you want to spend some time,I’ll teach you a little bit about how to sell.”
如果你想学的话,我可以教你一些销售的知识。"
He did that for three
successive6 Saturdays, and by the end of the three weeks, I was really pretty good and I liked it.
然后他连续教了我三周,三周之后,我可以做得很好了,并且我喜欢上了那份工作。
He taught me how to sell, and you can feed yourself for a lifetime when you know how to sell.
那个经理教给我如何销售,一个人如果学会了销售的话,那就足以养活他一辈子了。
And what he really didwas start to open doors for me, and start to find things out in me that I didn’t understand about myself.
而他所做的就是为我开启了事业的大门,并且在我身上发掘了很多我自己并不知道的优点和闪光点。
How do you use technology to keep in touch with employees and customers?
您如何运用科技来与您公司的员工和顾客们保持联系呢?
I
leverage7 video to reach our folks. We have a
quarterly8 enterprise-wide town hall that we started last year that is really an interesting couple of hours. We have folks from China, London, Mexico—all our operations around the world—and I typically start that off with, “Here’s a 15-minute update on where we are” and then we get questions from around the world. The other thing I will do is to go on Twitter and listen to what people are saying about us. I think those opinions are important for us. I also have a program that searches the Internet anytime somebody mentions Best Buy out there. Sometimes it’s really great things, sometimes it’s obscenity-laden, but I have a huge appetite for it. If I see customers have problems with things, I will contact the appropriate person in our company and have them contact that customer. Sometimes I contact the customer.
我利用视频与我们的员工保持联系。从去年开始,我们每一个季度都会与我们的员工进行交谈,那几个小时很有意思。我们的员工来自中国、伦敦、墨西哥等世界上很多不同的地区,我总是会在最开始的时候说,"我们现在有15分钟的时间来讨论我们公司的进程”,然后我们就可以从全世界范围内得到一些问题的反馈。我会做的另外一件事情就是去Twitter了解人们对于我们的看法。我认为那些看法对我们很重要。我们还有一个程序,能够在任何时间在因特网上追踪到人们提及"百思买",有时候大家说的是好的事情,有时候是一些不好的事情,但是我总是很关注这个。如果我发现顾客对于我们的产品有什么问题的话,我会与相关部门的人员联系,让他们与那位顾客进行沟通,有的时候我会直接联系顾客。
Hearing from you probably scares the heck out of them.
人们直接收到您的来信可能会感到有些吃惊。
It does freak them out a little bit. But I do think that the social media we have out there create interesting platforms for people to make those connections and to know things better. I think it’s just fascinating.
的确会有一点,但是我认为,社会媒体就是为我们创造一些有趣的平台,使人们能够彼此进行联系并更好的了解事物,我觉得这很好。
What goals have you set for yourself as a leader and a manager?
作为一个领导和经理,您为自己设定的目标是什么呢?
分享到: