英语小达人 422 Good Heart to Lean On(4)
时间:2018-08-13 01:06:03
搜索关注在线英语听力室公众号:tingroom,领取免费英语资料大礼包。
(单词翻译)
I now know he participated in some things vicariously through me, his only son. 现在我知道一些事情他是通过我——他唯一的儿子来做的。
When I played ball (poorly), he played too. 当我打球时(尽管我打得很糟糕),他也在打球。
When I joined the Navy he joined too. 当我参加海军时,他也参军。
And when I came home on leave, he saw to it that I visited his office. 当时我休假,他一定会让我去他的办公室,
Introducing me, he was really saying, 向人介绍我时,其实他真正想说的是:
This is my son, but it is also me, 这是我儿子,但也是我自己,
and I could have done this, too, if things had been different. 假如事情不是这样的话,我也会去参军的。
Those words were never said aloud. 那些话他从来没有说出口。
He has been gone many years now, but I think of him often. 父亲离开我们已经很多年了,但是我时常想起他。
I wonder if he sensed my
reluctance1 to be seen with him during our walks. 我不知道他是否意识到我曾经不愿意让人看到和他走在一起的心理。
If he did, I am sorry I never told him how sorry I was, how unworthy I was, how I regretted it. 假如他知道这一切,我现在感到很后悔,因为我从没告诉过他我是多么愧疚、多么不孝、多么悔恨。
I think of him when I complain about trifles, when I am
envious2 of another's good fortune, when I don't have a good heart. 每当我为一些琐事而抱怨,妒忌别人的好运,缺乏善心的时候,我就会想起我的父亲。
At such times I put my hand on his arm to
regain3 my balance, 此时,我会挽着他的胳膊保持身体平衡,
and say, You set the pace, I will try to adjust to you. 并且说,你走你的,我想法儿跟上你。
分享到: