影视剧中的职场美语 第104期:功败垂成(在线收听

  Gentlemen, Mr. McCullen, CEO of MARS Industries and the builder of these warheads.
先生们,这位是麦卡伦先生。马尔斯斯工业集团的首席执行官,也是这些弹头的制造者。
General, clearly you were the security option I should have chosen.
将军,看来我当初应该选择你来执行这次任务比较保险。
What did you just say?
你说的什么话?
My team did everything we could out there, and a lot of good men went down.
我的队员为了这次任务都拼了命,很多好士兵都送了命。
Yeah, but not you.
对,但你没有。
That mission was classified, so clearly someone sold us out.
这次行动是绝密的,所以很明显有人出卖了我们。
I spent 10 years and 13 billion Euros creating these four warheads.
我用了10年时间和130亿欧元来造这4枚弹头。
Your job, Captain, was to protect them, and if it wasn't for General Hawk, you'd have failed.
而你的工作,上尉, 就是保护它们,如果不是多亏了霍克将军,你早就失败了。
That's not a fair assessment. He followed his orders to the letter.
这样的评价并不公平,他完全执行了收到的命令。
Well, that wasn't enough.
嗯,但那并不够。
Now, so the bastards who attacked you can't find you, you need to disable the tracking beacon hidden in the case.
好了,为了不让袭击你们的混蛋找到你们,你需要把藏在箱子里的追踪信号器 关掉。
We already have. Good man.
我们已经关了,好样的。
But allow me to check them to see if any have been damaged. Open it, please.
不过还是让我检查一下有没有什么损坏吧。请把它打开。
My scan says they're intact, sir.
我的探测器显示它们完好无损, 先生。
What's the code?
密码是什么?
5-2-9-4-4-0 Thank you. Please keep me informed of your progress General.
529440谢谢。请时刻让我知道你们的进展,将军。
The client just pulled out of their account.
客户刚取消了合作。
I've heard about that. The boss pretends not to care, but it went down the drain.
听说了。老板假装不在乎,但是全都白费了。
I've tried my best, but it went down the drain.
我已经尽力了,但全都白费了。
It's hard to believe we've lost.
很难相信我们输了。
重点讲解
It was completely wasted.
It went down the rain.
go down the drain字面意思就是“掉进下水道里去了”。什么东西才会被扔进那里去呢?当然就是残羹剩饭、垃圾之类了。由此go down the drain就有了 “前功尽弃,失败得一塌糊涂,化为乌有”的意思。注意:表示白费的意思时,主语一般是事物或者事件,而非人。例如:.The 2000 notebook went down the drain,这个价值2000美元的笔记本废掉了。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/yszcmy/264287.html