公众人物毕业演讲第23期:比尔盖茨夫妇于斯坦福大学(4)(在线收听

   It's been 40 years since then,

  从那时到现在 已经过了40年
  and 20 years since Melinda and I were married.
  我和梅琳达结婚也已经20年了
  We are both more optimistic now than ever.
  我们现在仍然坚持着这份乐观 甚至更甚于当年
  But on our journey, our optimism evolved.
  随着人生旅途的展开 这份乐观也随之深化
  We would like to tell you what we learned
  今天 我们愿与大家分享自己的经历
  and talk to you today about how your optimism and ours
  告诉大家 你们的乐观也可以和我们一样
  can do more for more people.
  为更多人做到更多
  When Paul Allen and I started Microsoft,
  我和保罗·艾伦开创微软时
  we wanted to bring the power of the computers and software to the people,
  希望让计算机和软件的力量造福全人类
  and that was the kind of rhetoric we used.
  这也正是我们所想传达的理念
  One of the pioneering books in the field had a raised fist on the cover,
  领域内一本先驱性书籍封面上举起拳头
  and it was called "Computer Lib."
  将这称作是"计算机解放运动"
  At that time, only big businesses could buy computers.
  当时 只有大公司才买得起计算机
  We wanted to offer the same power to regular people
  我们希望让普通人也能使用这份力量
  and democratize computing.
  让计算机能够民众化 普及化
  By the 1990s,
  到1990年代
  we saw how profoundly personal computers could empower people,
  我们都见证了个人计算机为人类做出的巨大贡献
  but that success created a new dilemma.
  但这份成功同时又引来了新的困境
  If rich kids got computers and poor kids didn't,
  如果富孩子有电脑用 而穷孩子没有
  then technology would make inequality worse.
  那么技术的天平将变得更加不平等
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/gzrwyj/290554.html